Weekend mini-Fishin - May 2023 ?

Added to Calendar: 20/05/23, 21/05/23

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Guys, if not just for the fishing, the whole town (Otley) and Wharefedale in general is steeped in history and has the best pork pie shop bar none in the country. Also the match is the day after my birthday.
For the carpenters amongst us, this is the birth town of one Thomas Chippendale. It boasts one one of the oldest pubs in the UK, "The Black Bull" where a full suit of armour from Cromwell's army was found hidden in a wall.
Not too far away is a stretch of the river Wharfe that is the most dangerous stretch of water in the world... Look for "The Strid" online.
Clay shooting nearby, some of the most scenic views you will ever see and a couple of huge reservoirs that are free to fish.

The venue itself has proper toilet and shower facilities that are really well looked after and it is in the foothills of Otley Chevin and Danefield. There are some amazing walks to be had with vistas to die for.

Just in case you didn't realise.... Otley is my home Town and I love it!
Remember thinking what a nice little town on the way home from Lee Westons ",stag" match ...
Think a pop out for a couple and a meal would be a good idea

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Peter I always suspected you were a Prevert (sic) now you have just confirmed it,. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

Clive

Black Hydro
Site Supporter
Interested
But is it camping just for the weekend or do they have a proper campsite? As its 4.5hrs for me so would need to come up the day before

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Interested
But is it camping just for the weekend or do they have a proper campsite? As its 4.5hrs for me so would need to come up the day before
I will have a word with the owner when he comes back from holiday re the camping details

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Interested
@Clive If you do not mind being disturbed by a cat you could use our bed settee for the Friday night, only about an hours drive on the Saturday then

The Landlord

Site Supporter
@Clive If you do not mind being disturbed by a cat you could use our bed settee for the Friday night, only about an hours drive on the Saturday then
Is there such a thing as a night without being disturbed by cats?
With the missus away, both of ours have been kipping with me. One wants to go out at 4am & the other one goes out at 5am 🙈

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is there such a thing as a night without being disturbed by cats?
With the missus away, both of ours have been kipping with me. One wants to go out at 4am & the other one goes out at 5am 🙈
Mind you I did post that without asking the cats permission!!!!!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Anyone wanting to come early or stay in comfort there are a couple of nearby options available. The horse and farrier pub in Otley itself, about a 5 min drive from Tom's pond. Black horse hotel in Otley a 5 min drive away, the hotel brittania in bramhope about a 10 min drive, the white swan in yeadon, another 10 min drive, chevin lodge hotel, 5 min drive. (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just to confirm, I've booked the match pond for Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st May 2023

I'm just waiting for confirmation re the speci pond and to work out if viable

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I will turn the ripe old age of 55 the day before (19th) and can think of nothing better than to spend such a memorable time with the woman I love enjoying a pastime we both love :love: with fellow "Drowners"! A most fitting way to celebrate.
I expect there will be bottles of Tequila Rose doing the rounds and I expect to be plastered!!!
Munchy