Weed rakes in match's

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagnmag

Hi there
I'm a bit new to this but can anyone tell me if its ok to use a weed rake in a match. I've had a look at the NFA website and can't find any reference to rakes in the model match rules.
I'm not a regular match fisherman (about two a year) so I'm not familiar with all the rules.
I also sent the NFA an e-mail asking the same question, but it's been nearly three weeks and still no reply[:(!]
So far, after asking around I've got two possible answers

1. You can only rake before the starting whistle as this is regarded as clearing the swim of obstructions.

2. You can only rake after the starting whistle as this is regarded as groundbaiting.

One or both answers must be wrong so any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If I don't get back to you for a while it's not because I'm ungrateful for your help it's because I'm off to the IOW for a weeks sea fishing [:D]

MALC

Hi WagnMag,

NFA model match rule 13 reads as follows :

Before the starting signal no competitor must on any account groundbait or loose feed the swim but will be allowed to wet a line, plumb the depth and test the float, mix and wt groundbait, clear his/her ground of weed or obstructions and position his/her equipment. On no account must a feeder be used before the starting signal.

Which in plain english [;)] (as it aint clear)
means you can clear the bank of weeds and grass but NOT the water.

Rakes have never been allowed in NFA matches BUT most matches only base their rules losely on the NFA match rules and it is always best to ask the match organiser to clarify any points as you will find some very strange rules on some open and club matches.

Hope that helps some.

P.S.

Dont worry about only waiting 3 weeks for an answer from the NFA as i'm still waiting for answers to questions i asked of them over 1 YEAR AGO

RED WAS
Datafile2.asp
I'VE STARTED CATCHING NOW HE'S GONE..!!

Last edited:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
its also amazing how many ppl dont know they arent allowed to cast a feeder before the whistle!!!! we should also have more matches to international rules! i personnally think that would be a great idea and more bloodworm should be allowed in matches!!!!!!!!!

Browning Hotrods 007.gif Browning JP Tackle 007.gif

Lid

quote:originally quoted by Malc: clear his/her ground of weed or obstructions and position his/her equipment
Malc, how do you know the term ground does not include the water? If I read this I would take the weed and obstructions to be in the water, after all equipment includes keepnets and they go in the water.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

MALC

Lid,

As with any thing to do with the NFA it's as clear as mud,[;)]

Back when i fished the Nationals the question was raised and the answer we were given by the NFA was only bankside to be cleared and no raking.

Also recently this question cropped up on another website and it was found that the no raking rule still stands.

But as i say trouble is there are no universal match rules which apply to all matches and people take bits from the NFA's model match rules and then add their own.

An example is feeding a pole line with a pole cup whilst fishing another method (eg feeder) this is banned by NFA rules yet the club i fish in allows it as do some commercial fisheries in their matches, i don't know why though as to watch some people trying to feed with a pole whilst struggling to catch their feeder rod is a joke,

RED WAS
Datafile2.asp
I'VE STARTED CATCHING NOW HE'S GONE..!!

wagnmag

Thanks for that Malc.
I had already read NFA model match rule 13, but as you pointed out it's as clear as mud. I'll have to have a ring around the other clubs involved in the match and see if anyone has any objections to raking. I'll also approach the owner of the water, although I don't foresee any problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.