Weed Rake, Throw-able

MrBrightside

I need a throw-able weed rake for my local drains as they are still weedy and local match weights are circa double when the angler rakes the peg prior to fishing.

must be throw-able(and retrievable) up to 14.5m max.

Any ideas or pictures of you D.I.Y homemade creations?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Two rake heads tie wrapped or welded back to back used to be the popular way, most of the commercial made ones from Gardner for example tend to be fairly narrow.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Of those I've seen offered commercially, Jake's Rakes. The 12" Snag Dodger is my weapon of choice. I've used mine extensively this year. Nothing has broken or bent, despite my best efforts! I've had, and used, various homemade contraptions before, but it's £40 I do not begrudge paying at all.

Arch

Site Supporter
10EAD03D-6018-429A-AD88-84164962805C.jpeg
A guy at our club made this. We put 24m of rope on it, just in case like.

I can only chuck it about 11m it’s that heavy.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Tenchfisher Barry Cushing makes a very good one, i believe Yateley Angling sell them.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Of those I've seen offered commercially, Jake's Rakes. The 12" Snag Dodger is my weapon of choice. I've used mine extensively this year. Nothing has broken or bent, despite my best efforts! I've had, and used, various homemade contraptions before, but it's £40 I do not begrudge paying at all.
That rake looks bang on. will go back to fishing the heavily weeded RM canal now my frozen shoulder has finally departed. Looking at
the link to Eden fisheries, what fabulous rivers. Mind you I`m a soft southern Jessie and always will be.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Mines a home-made job that I've had so long I don';t remember where I got it from.
Back-to back rake heads work but can sometimes be a little to light and cheap ones will get bent or broken teeth quite quickly.
Don't forget to have considerably more rope than you think you'll need and tie the spare end to something substantial to prevent the rake flying off into the distance - I've seen it done and done it myself - if you're lucky the rope will float and it'll be retrievable. (y)

rake crop.jpg

Notice the rope tied to the tree

rake close up.jpg

It's a 20m rope attached to that and I've flung it out to its full extent

For bigger jobs one of these comes in handy Big Rake.jpg

The base is three feet wide - obviously too big to throw, it's rowed out by boat, flung over the side and retrieved from the bankside. Pulls in huge quantities of weed but takes ages to clean off ready for reuse.

Simon

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My Dad made this for me, more than 50 years ago.
16" wide, bar steel, drilled and then shaped 6" nails welded into the holes.
Now fitted with 4mm braided nylon washing line.
Light enough to chuck a good way, but heavy enough to do the job right.

Rake.jpg

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I looked on Angling Direct to see if they sold lads with rakes, and would you believe it?..out of stock.