Weather - BBC vs Met

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I woke up this morning and fancied going fishing at the park after I get my haircut with liquidised bread and pellets and wafters. Asked Alexa, "What's the weather today?". She replied, "Thunderstorms". So I went online and checked both the BBC and Met websites and they both say different things.

Met
Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 09.02.41.png

BBC

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 09.03.07.png

Which one to believe? Or do any Brain Boxes out there have a different site they use?

Cheers

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I woke up this morning and fancied going fishing at the park after I get my haircut with liquidised bread and pellets and wafters. Asked Alexa, "What's the weather today?". She replied, "Thunderstorms". So I went online and checked both the BBC and Met websites and they both say different things.

Met
Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 09.02.41.png

BBC

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 09.03.07.png

Which one to believe? Or do any Brain Boxes out there have a different site they use?

Cheers
Weather predictions are just that unless something blatant is going on.
BBC tend to hedge bet and lean towards caution.
Just go, (and take a brolley). ☀️🌤🌦⚡️🌬💨⁉️

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The problem with the BBC weather is that when they asked for tenders to supply the info they went for the cheapest option. You get what you pay for.

I have had times when I have compared the current BBC forecast with what was happening outside my window and the two were 180 degrees different.

What I love about the BBC is that in the fortnight ahead they go through every possible forecast so they can say that they got it right at some point.

And, "hurricane? Of course not." We all remember what happened that night.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think I'm going to go about 2 or 3pm and if it's going to rain, the worst of it should be out of the way by then, and I should get the peg I want. Either the bench peg where you can cast to the deepest part of the lake (4' instead of 3'). Or the fallen tree peg to the left of the stack that I'm told holds a lot of fish. If recent form, 4 or 5 blanks or near blanks in a row, is anything to go by it won't matter.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Since the BBC changed their weather forecast supplier from the Met Office, I've found the forecasts to be less accurate and (generally) quite negative, with much more rain forecast than we actually receive.

This makes planning activities quite difficult and I've lost count of the times that I've not watered the garden because rain was forecast, only for it to remain dry.

Going forward I'm looking for a better approach. In the short term the live rain maps are quite good

But for a 5-day look ahead, I'm open to suggestions.

Total

Site Supporter
I think I'm going to go about 2 or 3pm and if it's going to rain, the worst of it should be out of the way by then, and I should get the peg I want. Either the bench peg where you can cast to the deepest part of the lake (4' instead of 3'). Or the fallen tree peg to the left of the stack that I'm told holds a lot of fish. If recent form, 4 or 5 blanks or near blanks in a row, is anything to go by it won't matter.
At least you've got some hair to cut!;):ROFLMAO:.....Be lucky if you get out.....(y)

Novice937

MetCheck.com used to be so bang on, we used to use it to help with decisions on batting or bowling at our cricket club and many times it was spot on.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
BBC has it right out of all of them so far, a beautiful day so I'm going fishing now. As long as Alexa which still reckons thunderstorms isn't right I should be good to go.

scuttster

Site Supporter
Alexa uses accuweather for weather data. Looking at what they currently say for the location in your screenshots they are forecasting thunderstorms between 2 & 3 and 6 & 7 today.

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 12.36.21.png

Wolf fish

Always find this fairly accurate

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers for suggestions of other sites. BBC had it right today though. It was a fine day and didn't even threaten to rain.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I drove down the M6 yesterday afternoon and it absolutely hammered down Around 16:00 between Stafford and Birmingham so it must have just missed you

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
People have said to me on this park lake, "It's all in the laps of the gods" before.