WE can make a difference.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Just received this from Simon Cooper of FISHING BREAKS. Just copy and paste the letter to your MP. I've done it and it took me less then 2 minutes, but that could make the difference.

An Environment Bill is hardly something to get the heart racing but beneath the dull title of the one currently passing through Parliament lurks the possibility of something great. Something that could eliminate one of the great scourges of our rivers. Raw sewage.

Much has been written of this of late. You know the score. Water companies using powers that they legitimately have to allow untreated sewage to flow into rivers and the seas. In my particular region, Southern Water regularly do this on the chalkstreams, sometimes breaking the codes under which, they are meant to operate. If you recall they were recently fined over £100m in this regard.

Not that that seems to have made much of a difference. Last week I received an email from Lewis Brown, the Southern Water Stakeholder Engagement Manager for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight who said in apology to recent incidents, “Critically and regrettably, due to a technical error, some of these voluntary notifications did not operate as they should this past year.” That’s OK then, IT error …..​

However, we can all make these legal discharges a thing of the past by urging our MPs to sign up in support of Amendment 200 of the Environment Bill that will be discussed in Parliament next Tuesday (17 November) that, if passed, will lead to the phasing out of raw sewage discharges into the seas, as well as rivers.

Amendment 200 has a good chance of getting adopted into the bill if enough MPs support it: that is because one of its sponsors is on the Committee considering it, and the Chairman of that Committee is also aware of its importance.

So, please email your MP today. I have drafted a note to send below and this link will give you the contact details. www.writetothem.com

I am writing to urge you to sign up in support of Amendment 200 of the Environment Bill to be discussed in parliament next Tuesday (17 November) that, if successful, will lead to the phasing out of raw sewage discharges into the seas, as well as rivers.

As you know storm overflows discharged raw sewage into rivers in England at least 200,000 times in 2019. (for more info visit Experience) Not only does this put the health of constituents like me at risk but it damages our beautiful and scarce chalkstreams which are already under great threat.

But in this Bill, we have an opportunity to #EndSewagePollution now and restore healthy rivers to the rightful heart of our community.

I hope you will be able to support Amendment 200.

If you are active on social media do post to end #EndSewagePollution and support The Angling Trust's recently launched #anglersagainstpollution

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Not sure if you missed these posts from the Angling Trust in the last month.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Not sure if you missed these posts from the Angling Trust in the last month.

Yes I did see them but ignored them. Those of us who aren't really taken in with angling politics wouldn't bother reading all that jargon but might show interest in doing something if it was made simpler. This link I have posted is far more direct and easy to follow and takes no time at all to complete. Most anglers are aware of the problem but more likely to do something if it takes less of their time reading about what is to them unnecessary although informative.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I received this letter today from the office of my local MP in response to the OP letter I sent last week. Make of it what you will.:unsure:

Dear Mr. Fox,

Thank you for contacting Navendu Mishra, the M.P. for Stockport asking for support for amendment 200 of the Environment Bill. As you will be aware the Environment Bill 2019-21 was announced in the Queen’s Speech in December 2019 and passed second reading without division on 26 th February 2020 but was adjourned on the 19 th March . This Bill is the re-introduction of the Environment Bill 2019 from the previous Parliamentary session. The previous Bill passed second reading unopposed, but fell at dissolution for the General Election 2019.

Part 5 of the Bill includes provision provisions relating to water resources management , including the development of joint regional plans for long term water resources management, a statutory duty for water companies to develop long-term drainage and sewage management plans; amendments to Ofwat’s water company licensing process; amendments to when water licenses can be varied or revoked without compensation ; powers to amend requirements relating to the chemical status of water bodies , and powers to amend the land valuation process for internal drainage board (IDB) charges.

Reaction to the Bill : Opposition Parties have raised concerns that the Bill will water down current EU standards and will not stop the UK falling behind the EU on environmental standards. Environmental campaign groups generally welcomed the principle and intentions of the Bill.

Navendu is a long standing advocate on environmental and animal welfare standards and he will monitor progress of the Bill through the House , he is committed to supporting measures which improve environmental standards for his constituents and water quality would feature high in his list of priorities.

Thanks again for contacting Navendu Mishra, M.P. for Stockport.

yours sincerely

Charlie Stewart
Caseworker for NAVENDU MISHRA - Member of Parliament for Stockport