wav to mp3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
I have a CD that has every Beatles album on it. They appear to be WAV files and wont play on my CD player only on my computer. Can I convert them to MP3 so I can copy them to a few CD`s to play on my CD player. If so where can I download a program to do it?? ...Thanks ...Haydn

Datafile2.gif

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

AndyA

Hey, I have that cd too but it doesn't play on XP [:0]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by AndyA

Hey, I have that cd too but it doesn't play on XP [:0]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

Oh yes it does. It doesn't autoplay but if you go through "my computer" and go to the CD drive it plays OK.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
I agreee I can play it on XP

Chopper

www.musicmatch.com

Sounds like the disc is made up of data files rather than wav files, wav files are a lot bigger than mp3's so I doubt you could get so many tracks on a cd in a wav format.

Not too clued up about pc's and technical stuff but I'm sure if you download the musicmatch software you will be able to convert to mp3 and then to cd.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The CD is made up of WAV Audio files, one LP to a file,

I have been told it cannot be converted but perhaps someone knows better.

I do have a spare copy if anybody wants one.

Geoff

Beebs

If they were WAV files, they would never be able to fit all the Beatles albums on 1 CD. And if they are, they should play on a normal CD player. What it sounds like is they are in MP3 format on a CDR. You can convert these to WAV and burn them onto a CDR with a convertor program and play them on your CD player. I got one from Makro. Hemmings, I think it is.

If the disc plays on your PC, its cos it has an MP3 decoder. I think most DVD's will play MP3 these days. But to get all the albums onto 1 cd in full CD quality, you'd end up with a disc the size of a roundabout.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
thanks for all the info. Will look into it.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Steve,

I kid you not, I have checked and according to my computer (running XP) the files are WAV Audio. Every LP issued by the Beatles with words to all the songs. It will not play on a CD player (I have just tried)

If you want a copy to play around with, PM your address to me and I will send you my spare one.

Geoff

Beebs

Hi Geoff, I've got windows ME on my PC, will it work on that? I'll send you a PM with my address anyway.

I spent some time converting WAV to MP3 format last year and found that WAV files were generally around 10 times the size of the same file converted to MP3, which is why I thought it sounded strange that all the Beatles albums would fit onto 1 CD.

I'll have a play around with it and see what happens when I have a play with the WAV - MP3 convertor program. Cheers, Steve.

Trevski

There is no chance that these files are standard WAVs if they are of decent quality.
At 22Khz Mono (Pretty low quality but listenable) a standard data CD would only hold
around 300Mins of WAV audio.

The question is, do these WAV files open with media player? If they do then whilst the
file is playing click on [File] and then [Properties].. What I suspect you'll see in the
[Audio Codec] section is "MPEG Audio Layer-3", which basically means that these are MP3
files that have been renamed .WAV

HOW? Basically The .WAV file extension will associate the file with Media Player and prompt
it to open, BUT it will then recognise from the internal file format that its Mpeg Audio and
play it with the correct audio codec.

If this is the case you should be able to copy the files, one by one, onto your Hard Drive
renaming them as MP3 and then running them though a converter. A good alternative to conversion
programs is CDRWin from GoldenHawk. This will convert MP3s to CD audio and burn them to a CD
for you with no messing about. I use it all the time.

Let me know how you get on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/img]

timber

built for comfort
try downloads .com and look for a prog called cd ex its easy with this prog even i can do it ok.

big dave

Jeff

Hi guys,
I was going to post this message straight to Haydn but it looks like a couple more of you might find it useful. The files on this CD are not standard WAV files, They have beeen encoded using ADPCM {Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation}
This method of encoding sound data files takes up less storage space than the regular PCM format used by WAV and AIFF files--and CD audio for that matter. ADPCM comes in more than one flavor: IMA's ADPCM, for example, is used on the Sony Mini Disc to cram more data onto a smaller platter; Microsoft ADPCM is used as part of Windows 95's canon of audio codecs. That is why we can't play them on a standard CD Player. The good news is that they can be converted into MP3 files using an Audio Converter such as the one I just tried. You can find it here http://www.bulletproofsoft.com/
Once you have converted one of the files and you play it in Media Player you will find that you can't skip from one track to the next, You have to listen to the whole Album. This is because of the way that the albums were laid down in the first place. If I can find a way to split each Album into seperate tracks I will let you know.

Tight Lines.

dataar

[8D] I have this cd. It auto plays and all lps/ songs are in wav format. I have copied whole CD to a file on desktop and now am trying to find an app that converts wav to mp3. any ideas folks?

dataar

quote:Originally posted by beebs

If they were WAV files, they would never be able to fit all the Beatles albums on 1 CD. And if they are, they should play on a normal CD player. What it sounds like is they are in MP3 format on a CDR. You can convert these to WAV and burn them onto a CDR with a convertor program and play them on your CD player. I got one from Makro. Hemmings, I think it is.

If the disc plays on your PC, its cos it has an MP3 decoder. I think most DVD's will play MP3 these days. But to get all the albums onto 1 cd in full CD quality, you'd end up with a disc the size of a roundabout.

dataar

They are definitely wav and it has evry single lp every recorded by the beatles on one CD.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Beebs,

Did you receive the CD Ok and have you tried to convert it?

Geoff

Fishing Venues UK

Beebs

Hi Geoff, I did receive the CD, unfortunately, my PC time at home is extremely limited, so I haven't had a chance to try and do anything with it.

See you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.