Watford Managers

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Gone full circle then. Saw the win rates of the last few. Zola highest at 44%. That isn't bad is it? Fairly sure the loss rate wasn't 56% under him, poses the question why get rid?

Think if you looked at 17 teams in the prem, then and now, there wouldn't be that much difference, I say 17, as Liverpool and city aside of course.

H T B

Site Supporter
It's kit the overall win rate that matters as much as the trend.
Watford were on a slippery slope at the end of last season, and the trend continued into this season.

In the current market, Man U would have done a Moyes to Fergie, where maybe they should have done a Fergie to Moyes [if you get my drift]

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
As a Watford fan, the media cover around the managers absolutely does my head in. When the Pozzo family bought/rescued us, we were languishing at the bottom of the Championship on the brink of liquidation (under the ownership of Bassini who (allegedly) did his very best to scupper Bolton in the summer). Since then, we have become a financially secure and established premier league side. Yes we have been through our fair share of managers, but really boringly, few were actually sacked... but why let the truth get in the way.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
It's kit the overall win rate that matters as much as the trend.
Watford were on a slippery slope at the end of last season, and the trend continued into this season.

In the current market, Man U would have done a Moyes to Fergie, where maybe they should have done a Fergie to Moyes [if you get my drift]

Like it, agree on the trend thing. too. I suppose a trend is current form, and win rate a bit hindsightish, may be even nostalgic, sort of thing you may put out in your statement following a sacking.

True enough point on Sir Alex, an FA Cup wasn't enough to keep Van Gaal in a job. Although this wasn't at a point where we had bought into to getting shot of managers in his day. Good job we didn't.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
As a Watford fan, the media cover around the managers absolutely does my head in. When the Pozzo family bought/rescued us, we were languishing at the bottom of the Championship on the brink of liquidation (under the ownership of Bassini who (allegedly) did his very best to scupper Bolton in the summer). Since then, we have become a financially secure and established premier league side. Yes we have been through our fair share of managers, but really boringly, few were actually sacked... but why let the truth get in the way.

Just thought it a stat/fact/truth, worthy of discussion-the win rates of the previous managers.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's entirely separate and also entirely fair enough. But in the early days of the Pozzo reign, we'd had Sannino as manager who was dire, and he was one of the ones who was sacked, at a similar time in the season. He was replaced with Garcia, which was a great appointment, but then after a couple of games, he ended up in hospital and stepping down. McKinley took over for 2 games before a permanent replacement. Did that stop the likes of Ian Wright and Paul Merton whining on at every opportunity that we'd had 4 managers by November? Hell no...

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think not. On the plus side, as a Nottingham based Hornet, there are plenty more Championship grounds within an hour or so drive (about half the division), so I'll probably get to see them play more (if we can get in the grounds).

If we survive, it will be because Villa lose more to West Ham than we do to Arsenal

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Fair one.
Did something go off? I know sometimes what may seem good timing, isn't and vice versa, but this one did seem more strange than it was timely?

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's all been very hush-hush, so no idea. There is a rumour that he said something which made the position untenable, but that is purely rumours, so nobody really knows.