Water to Groundbait Ratio

rudd

Site Supporter
What an awfull mini article.
Picture 4 - the groundbait is more like paste.

One thing to note - no mention of whisk/drill (or mole hill soil) 😁

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I vaguely remember reading that Kim Milson, would measure both the amount of groundbait and the water that it required in orderto do what he wanted it to do. Apparantly, if I remember this correctly, he used to dump the water on the groundbait quickly mjix it and then leave it and it was always perfect for what he wanted it to do. Food for thought?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Me and Ken (dad) would take a 56lb sack of crumb when we were having a day 'breaming'

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
But you are not paid to get people to part with money for expensive groundbait.
I wouldn’t be comfortable encouraging people to dump unnecessary bait into lakes, it just rots and pollutes, aiding the silting and deoxygenating the water. Bit different on a river, but hey, if people want to mix 2 kg of groundbait and chuck 3/4 of it away, I guess that’s their prerogative.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wouldn’t be comfortable encouraging people to dump unnecessary bait into lakes, it just rots and pollutes, aiding the silting and deoxygenating the water. Bit different on a river, but hey, if people want to mix 2 kg of groundbait and chuck 3/4 of it away, I guess that’s their prerogative.
I have to agree with you on that. The waters round here limit the angler to 1kg goundbait (dry weight) per angler per day for just that reason.

Zerkalo

Pretty sure on the back of the bags of some groundbaits, I think Sonubaits, it tells you the recommended ratio. I'm never that accurate and usually mix it up over wet at home, then it dries out, sometimes because I've added micropellets, by the time I'm on the bank. Think Lee Kerry recommends doing it that way in one video, overwetting, then letting it dry out, though I suppose that could effect the activeness of the mix if you think about it in great detail.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have to agree with you on that. The waters round here limit the angler to 1kg goundbait (dry weight) per angler per day for just that reason.
Out of interest how do you police that?

Wellingborough have an outright ban on two of the lakes as that is easier to police. An angler either has or does not have groundbait when checked by the bailiff.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
bait limits cannot be enforced unless each angler has a camera on him for the duration of the match. its a trust thing and hopefully anglers stick to the rules.

Fished lakes where there are limits, had bait check before i set up, during i set up and even the odd time where the owner/bailiff visit/walkaround durign the match but have seen anglers have bait on their trays and once the check has been done go back into their carryall.

If i had a fishery every swim would be monitored with a camera and a good set of bins for me as well lol

only other way i can think of is each angler is searched as they go to their swim but even then you would have to have xray machines to check all the bags and hiding places including body scanners to check what they have on their body, obviously this would never happen, apart from world/euro champs where i presume all bait is weighed/checked before the anglers enter his zone and each zone has inclusion areas around it so no one (well i think the captain/bank runner) can enter the zone

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don’t fish anywhere with groundbait limits!, In summer , I mix up plenty, and take it , if I don’t use it I take it home, and use it quickly or freeze it , I’ve been caught out in the past running out of groundbait, and fish disappearing, I’ll put in as much as I have to to keep fish actively feeding in the peg 🤷‍♂️If that’s 2-5k, so be it

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Out of interest how do you police that?

Wellingborough have an outright ban on two of the lakes as that is easier to police. An angler either has or does not have groundbait when checked by the bailiff.
It's all down to putting trust into the angler and hoping he/she gives the trust back. Anglers know the consequences if caught, and yes, there are those that extract the urine, but very few have been turfed off a water here and none at all on the club waters.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My old club lake in Wales had a no groundbait rule and on the whole members were good as gold but on quiet days where there were only one or two anglers on the water the occasional ball would go in.

A word in the ear and threat of banning sorted them out fairly quickly