Water to Groundbait Ratio

Maverick

Site Supporter
I was just reading an article by Tommy P where he says he puts 1 pint of water to 1 kilo of groundbait.

Is he talking about all groundbaits or just the sonubaits range? I would have thought some groundbaits take more or less water than others.

Do you have a recipe - water to groundbait that gives you the perfect mix everytime?

Maverick

Site Supporter
So are we basically saying that Tommy's talking a load of old tosh in that article then, as it's not helpful to anyone reading it?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
So are we basically saying that Tommy's talking a load of old tosh in that article then, as it's not helpful to anyone reading it?
Tommy won’t be talking tosh that’s probably the formula he uses for that particular groundbait, I don’t think he meant every groundbait on the market, as they are all different blends of ingredients 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
He might have found that to be a rough general rule from his experience but as every ground bait varies you just keep adding small amounts until it seems alright.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Thats what I thought when I read it. But newcomers reading that article would think that's the rule of thumb and then copy it at ruin there mix.

Think it's a shame when they print articles like that, that doesn't explain about different groundbaits and wether you want a heavy mix or a mix that will stick to a method feeder etc.

I thought it was a very misleading article for any newcomers to the hobby.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I mix my groundbait one of water two of groundbait works for me ,
but i dont buy much ground bait , never been convinced it works

Silver fan 82

He would know that for a kilo of that particular groundbait a pint of water will give him the consistency he wants.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
The sonubaits groundbaits can be mixed one baitbox of gbait to one baitbox of water to the inner ridge. Mix together and leave. It will set but can be broken up easily to create a fluffy mix. Perfect every time

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only groundbait Ive ever found that has a listed on the packet water to groundbait mix

is Marukyu

they give the recipe by volume, eg three big preston cups of GB to 2 cups of water et al

and it works, they must be the easiest GB's to mix there ever were

baggy

Mark Saunders
As others have said it really depends on what groundbait you are using, for example when I use crushed expander I flood it with water, it looks like wet concrete without enough sand. After a while the groundbait absorbs all of the water and it’s a solid block. When you push that through a riddle it’s perfect. You can’t mix a natural groundbait this way as you will kill the mix dead, water little and often is better and you can tailor the mix so it is right for the conditions

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Ratio would be ideal for beginners, end up with a roughly decent mix.

But with experience you just go on feel, eyeball it as it were. Kind of like how chefs don't need to measure and weigh stuff.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It will also depend on how you intend to use it, if you want it to cloud, or get to the deck quick, and once on the deck do you want it active or inert . So one particular bag of GB can have many different amounts of water added. Tommy probably knows what mix he wants and how much water it will need.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
He also says 2kg will be enough for a days session, can’t think of many days I’d use even half that amount.
Yeah that would be a big water bream quantity for me. Rare I'd use much more than a pound let alone a kilo never mind two!

baggy

Mark Saunders
He also says 2kg will be enough for a days session, can’t think of many days I’d use even half that amount.
I think the only time I use more is on naturals whip fishing, I’d always take 5kg mixed to Tamar

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thats what I thought when I read it. But newcomers reading that article would think that's the rule of thumb and then copy it at ruin there mix.

Think it's a shame when they print articles like that, that doesn't explain about different groundbaits and wether you want a heavy mix or a mix that will stick to a method feeder etc.

I thought it was a very misleading article for any newcomers to the hobby.
I've never taught anyone to fish- I wouldn't have the nerve given my lack of knowledge, but surely, keeping things simple makes them easier to understand for a lot of people who unlike most on here (not me), are masterclass types or better. This leads me to a question as to whether many folks tend to stick to the same groundbait producer for reasons to do with being accustomed to the consistencies therein

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think the only time I use more is on naturals whip fishing, I’d always take 5kg mixed to Tamar
I’ve used 5kg easy on baggin wag , your casting a loaded float every 2 minutes constantly all match ,the only time your not is when playing and landing fish , also I’ve put more than 2k in the margins some days easy