Water craft

Line Clip

Going to fish a pool on the feeder for carp soon, The Pool is full of carp up-to 18lbs only 4ft deep with an island, the island does not have a margin as such,
more like a beach at the sea side,
In the summer a feeder can be cast into 12ins or even less around the island and carp of all sizes can be seen with there backs out almost beached after the stray pellets from the catty .
Now we are getting into winter to find a reasonable depth off the island I would need to drop the feeder about 3mtr short , do you think this is to far from the island to have any advantage to consider fishing to it, or should I pick a peg were I just cast the feeder into open water, remembering the pool is 4FT MAX (at the moment the water is a chocolate brown) Thanks.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
all depends on the thermal layers and where the fish want to be and the day itself, fish will soon move into shallow water when the sun is shining. will be trial and error and you will know if too shallow as you wont catch and/or you will get liners try and pick a peg with both options so you can try both

the fact its 4ft deep at its max i do not think it will be a huge difference but some lakes its amazing how shallow the fish will go even in winter when the sun is out and the fact its brown should mean the fish are still happily feeding

Silver fan 82

As @gingert76 says the fish at this time of year may be in the deeper water or tight against the island. I would feed two lines, one closer in away from the island and up against the island and alternate between the two lines.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The 'books' state they will be in the shallow water when the sun is shining in winter, but I almost always drop short in Winter, have been told not to, but I still do and catch fine. I don't think 3m is too far away from an island depending on what's going on the bottom, could be a shelf the fish sit at the bottom of.

Silver fan 82

The 'books' state they will be in the shallow water when the sun is shining in winter, but I almost always drop short in Winter, have been told not to, but I still do and catch fine. I don't think 3m is too far away from an island depending on what's going on the bottom, could be a shelf the fish sit at the bottom of.
Don't always believe the 'books' lol!
3m short is usually a good bet. Most islands have a marginal shelf much the same as the bank right under your feet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't always believe the 'books' lol!
3m short is usually a good bet. Most islands have a marginal shelf much the same as the bank right under your feet.

Yeah that's how I see, like a 2+2 line or something but away from island instead of the near bank. This winter I might experiment with 2 lines more, one tight to the island and one short like you say and see which produces most.

Line Clip

The island in question does not have any drop off, it has a gentle slope (beach) the ducks congregate and have a paddle from nothing to 4FT DEEP.
To find 4ft away from the island the feeder would be 3 meters off the island there is no margin or drop off.

Silver fan 82

The island in question does not have any drop off, it has a gentle slope (beach) the ducks congregate and have a paddle from nothing to 4FT DEEP.
To find 4ft away from the island the feeder would be 3 meters off the island there is no margin or drop off.
So does it suddenly drop off to 4ft deep? If so the bottom where it drops off would be a good fish holding spot to target.