Watching the Action in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It makes be proud to be British when I see the way the British troops are performing in the town of Basra, compared with the Americans in Bagdad.

No gung ho shootings, no panic, just calm diplomacy.

Not only can our guys fight the fight but they have the ability to interact with the local population. Keeping the peace without being too dominant.

Well done Boys.

Geoff
Datafile3.jpg
Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

Del-J

' Victor '
Very well put young Geoff.

Let us just hope and pray they are all soon home safe and sound.

Del
victor_meldrew75.jpg

I DO believe it.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy

I have followed the latest conflict daily, either watching the news on the TV (mainly Sky) or following the Internet BBCi news "Iraq at a glance".

A colonel Vernon was asked how many Iraqis had been killed. He responded " We fought them, we killed them, we buried them. We don't count them". the man was so laid back, nearly comatose.

Compare that with the Americans who had to state "we killed so many" and most of their figures were only calculations.

I have been a serving member of what I believe is THE finest fighting force in the world. We may not have all the latest technology for killing at a distance but notice who they call in when it gets dirty.

Oh by the way, did you know that a serving member of the American Forces gets a medal for serving in the United Kingdom, or in Germany. Not exactly war zones are they.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Fishing Venues UK

Del-J

' Victor '
As you also know Geoff they get the Purple Heart if they cut themselves shaving.[V]

Del
victor_meldrew75.jpg

I DO believe it.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Del a US Marine in Vietnam got a purple heart after a girl in a not too decent profession bit his p****. All in the line of duty. I think the word is PUSSIES

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Fishing Venues UK

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Del-J, Geoff P - you are both sorta partly right.

Purple Heart medals are awarded for ANY wound received as a direct result of hostile action. Which can cause some very strange situations. For instance, if you were in a combat zone and shaving when an enemy bomb explosed nearby and it caused you to cut yourself, you would be entitled to a purple heart. Most would not try for one but you certainly could and would probably get it. The same might well apply if the young lady in question bit down after being shaken by a close miss from a shell.

And while they are only awarding an overseas service ribbon to guys who pull a tour in England or Germany, I think a medal might well be more appropriate.

But to follow on to Geoff P's comment about how well British troops get on with others and interact with the locals, I located this piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The German controllers at Frankfurt Airport were a short-tempered lot. They not only expected you to know your parking location but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (PanAm 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground and a British Airways 747 (radio call Speedbird 206) after landing.

Speedbird 206: "Good morning Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active."

Ground: "Guten morgan, taxi to your gate."
The British Airways 747 pulls onto the main taxiway and stops.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, ground, I'm looking up the gate location now."

Ground (with typical German impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, in 1944. But I didn't stop".

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA

norm

geoff just as well you were not there as all hell would breake loose

but good point mate

Datafile3.asp

Lid

Whilst we have been away on our holidays many people have said similar things about British troops to us, which does make you very proud. However we would never had such a 'successful' conflict without the huge financial commitment of the US.

Hang on a minute, am I trying to please everyone here ...... ?? I don't remember being in favour of going to war in the first place, although once it started I naturally support our troops who are brilliantly carrying out orders.

By the way, what was the fist name of that Colonel Vernon, Geoff? Was it by any chance Mike?

Lid in Antigua, Land of Sea and Sun [:)]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lid

I do not question the "financial" commitment of the USA. There is no doubt that we wouldn't have gone in alone. But we are paying our own way.

I think the Colonels first name was John. I remember seeing a iece in the Daily Express written by a woman called Carol Sarler.

She was in a restaurant in USA when she heard two americans talking. One said to the other "bad news about that friendly fire incident last night. Killed 4 people" And the other said "Yes but it was only Brits" With friends like these etc.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Fishing Venues UK

G

Geoff,i've seen the colonel on the TV,,very laid back sort of a fella.

As for who do they send for when it gets dirty,always have always will, THE BRITISH SOLDIER, thats who,send our lads in to soften them up,then send in the back up troops, guns blazing bombs dropping.

Look what went on in the Falklands,nobody can send an army that far and fight a war,,, well they were proved wrong,big style.

The Americans, cant do without em i'm affraid,they have the money and the latest modern warfare gizzmo's.

The Yanks response its only Brits, that stinks, not nice.
Medals,etc for the yanks, my mate who was in the militarygot talking to some US Marines, one of them was proudly showing off his ribbons, went thru the lot, guess what he got one for,,,??????????
???????????????????????
????????????????????????

FOR FLING OVER A WAR ZONE,war zone, he flew over Ireland in a bloody plane for Gods sake,

I wonder how many people know how many VC's were won in Vietnam,[?][[?][?]. Now there's a poser for you,

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy,

4 VC's were awarded during the Vietnam War.

Major Peter Badcoe.
WO2 Keith Payne.
WO2 Ray Simpson.
WO2 Kevin Wheatley.

All members of the Australian Army.[;)]

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

G

People forget that the Ozzies were involved in the war,

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

Del-J

' Victor '
You are right again Andy. (Getting to be a habit this [;)])

The Ozzie's may "kick our butts when it comes to things like cricket etc. They are though always willing to, and do stand at our side when needed.[^]

We could IMHO do with a lot more friends like the Ozzie's.

Del
victor_meldrew75.jpg

I DO believe it.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
"She was in a restaurant in USA when she heard two americans talking. One said to the other "bad news about that friendly fire incident last night. Killed 4 people" And the other said "Yes but it was only Brits" With friends like these etc."

This one passes highly unlikely and drifts over into the relm of no way in hell that was said.

I've traveled a good bit of the US and lived in more than a few parts and there just isn't any general anti-Brit feeling over here. A few isolated nut cases but most of the population of the US either doesn't think of England at all or thinks kindly of her.

Post that one to the CAG forum at Here and see if they agree. At least a dozen regulars on there who are from over your way and several who will be going back after a job ends. They would see more of it than I would if the feelings exist at all because of the distinctive accent. I imagine they will agree that this is a tall tale by someone with an ax to grind (a grudge).

Please don't assume that since there is a good deal of anti-American feeling among some UK folk that the reverse is true.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA

Last edited:

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Now, now, you lot calm down it's all over now except the shouting, and don't forget Newt over there, someone has upset Newt I can tell by the way he was very tactfully posting (not being sarcastic Newt) The big thing is......WE DID IT TOGETHER choose who went here or who went where in Iraq. Where the hell is SADDAM ??? Who is going to get him ...........S.A.S........NAVY SEALS.......???? I'm Going to bed now just finished work.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Status
Not open for further replies.