wasp repellent??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray

hiya wave.gif , wasps, hate em but they love me, anybody any ideas for a repellent??

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
That should do the trick!!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I dunno about a repellant Ray, I tend to use a distraction.

I usually get the most trouble from wasps when fishing with sweetcorn, so I normally put a few grains in a spare bait box and put it a few feet away. They'll normally go for that rather than get "wafted at" by an irate angler.

Also you can try covering your sweetcorn with water, wasps ain't too good at swimming so they tend to give up once they know they can't get at it.

Don't do what we did in Ireland one year though. We were mixing up a large batch of groundbait for pre-baiting when about a dozen wasps descended on us, we started swatting them with anything that came to hand but of course they all ended up in the groundbait. We then spent 30 minutes gingerly picking dead and dying wasps out of the groundbait before we could mould it into balls! icon_smile_tongue.gif

Mind you Peter's suit does look quite fetching icon_smile_big.gif, do they do it in black too?

Tight Lines

Simon

martin.

Account Locked
hi simon
ask teepee hell do you one any colour you like or dislike

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Zinky

Grumpy
A jam butty placed behined the angler in the next peg.
Always works for ask Trogg one behind his box every time.

norm

yesterday at the lake i was fishing ,a bloke took a drink from his can of pop, oooooccccchhhhhhhhhh a wasp had craweld inside and stung the inside of his mouth several times,
peters idea seems to be the sure way of keeping the horrible little things away.

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was going to suggest taking some strawberry jam with you & smearing it round the inside of a bait box then half fill it with water.

I never leave an open can of pop on the bank, it always goes in my seat box because i've seen to many people suffer from stung mouths (just like the fella Norm saw) which can cause a lot of swelling & hence be extremely dangerous.

Ray

from what i heard your armpits are enough to keep the wasps away icon_smile_big.gif

DB
I only ever use the jam buttie trick when i'm fishing with you icon_smile_wink.gif

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Edited by - Trogg on 16 August 2002 11:13:57 AM

ray

simon, the wasps dont go for my bait, just me.

troggy, snot my armpits that get stung, just everywhere else.

nice idea peter but with 32 degrees forcast for the w/end might be a little warm.

was told just to have a ciggie as they hate the smoke, this does work but now i'm on 60 a day.

brady

what i have found is corn steep attracts wasps from other countries.it may attract fish but its a damn fine attracter of the stripy demons

brady

my advice for a wasp repellent is drop your pole and run around waving your hands screaming like a girl (it works for me i havent been stung in years lol)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ray,

Got this in my inbox last night:

"A good detterant for wasps are essential oils, citronella mainly. Citronella is derived from cultivated grasses. It is so strong, it has been used as a pesticide for over 50 years. It repells biting insects fleas etc, wasps and such alike, and mosquitos big time. It keeps dogs and cats away, is toxic to birds, dogs and cats hate it....(yet its used on flea collars). But its completely harmless and infact has beneficial use for humans, as it has antiseptic qualities"

So it's one to try.

Another suggestion for match anglers is to get a runner to spill a can of Orange Fanta behind your opponent and all the wasps will head to that area icon_smile_big.gif

Generally I find that wasps don't bother me unless I bother them, hard as it might seem but if you ignore them they will ignore you and just go about their business

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Available from Boots Chemist:

Don't know how good it is though.......

And here is a link to the 'Jungle Formula' site. I have been using their repellant for years against midges and mossies who see me as a meal ticket (just an aperatif mind icon_smile_tongue.gif) http://www.jungleformula.co.uk/JungleFormulaTheRange.htm

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 17 August 2002 08:32:47 AM

flick

THe most simplest repellent for all airborn nasties , and it works, is to spray your clothing near bare flesh with a common old can of fly spray. In New Zealand we have a real nastie called the sand fly, boy ! can they bite, but the old fly spray is a sure fire cure.

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet Ray
As Dave said Oil Of Citronella.
Our GP told us to get this For number 2 son as he is allergic to insect bites,Citronella is also the stuff they put in the insect repellant candles the ones that smell of Lemon.if you have a B&Q near you they sell it in an atomiser bottle 3. they also sell the refill

Stu

ray

thanks guys, got a couple of the citronella candles and used em for the north level, kept the beasties away at night, will have a look around for the oil.

stu, could the stuff in an attomiser be used as flick suggested (spayed on clothes or even a tent?)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
icon_smile_big.gif

Ray, The candle was a lovely idea at Martins North Level Fish-in., (You may remember, I slept near it out in the open!) but I hate to tell you!

Wasps are Diurnal, they go to sleep at Dusk, so wont bother you at night!

Still I didn't get bitten all night (Perhaps the other insects decided there wasn't enough meat there icon_smile_big.gif

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 19 August 2002 5:47:32 PM

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
you didnt mention that after rayy left on sun when we were sitting outside the pub the wasps could still tell where ray had been the night before & decended on the table LOL

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

ray

think ive sussed it, it happened again yesterday, one wassa trying to inflict some gbh on me, so after doing a mr bean immpression for 10 minutes (much to the amusement of the 3 old ladies sat on the bench behind me) i decided it was time for war.

now i say "bring it on baby" my solution......four citronella candels placed around me, spray myself with citronella oil, sit with my spray bottle full of water in one hand and my rubber mallet in the other.
if they get past the citronella, spray em with the water, they fall to the ground, then whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.