Wasp Grubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

I have a larger than rugby ball sized wasp nest in my garden and I have heard that wasb grubs are a good bait. Does anyone have any info on how and when to harvest the bait. (other than extremely carefully)

ray

hiya steve, there are a few different ways to harvest the grubs using chemicals from a garden center, but i personally would contact your local council/health authority and for a small charge (about 30) they will kill off the wassa,s and if you explain to the guy when he comes to do it he will tell you when it is safe to open the nest.

p.s. dont forget to use the nest itself.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

norm

steve
i used to go wasp nesting

get a ant killer called nipon from the garden centre

go up to the nest in the evening

and squrt 2 or 3 good squrts down the entrance hole (then retreat)

next day go with a spade and a big black bag

dig up the nest (which is usually very easy as they are very shallow)

and place it in the bag (quickly)as there may be 1 or 2 wasps still flying around

put a knot in the top of the bag

put the bag in the freezer until the next day

and then the grub can be removed from the next safely

before using the grub pour boiling water over it as to harden it up

my best fish on the grub is 5lb 9 oz

and i have never been stung while collecting nests (yet)icon_smile.gif

you may be a bit wary of doing it for the first time but you will soon get used to iticon_smile_evil.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve and welcome on board icon_smile.gif

If the nest is in a bush or tree go there on an evening and cut all but the two or three main supporting branches away from the nest. You won't get stung if you're sensible. Leave it to settle down and return the following evening with a strong bag or tin/dustbin with a lid. In this you want a cloth soaked with Carbon TetraChloride which you can get from most dispensing chemists. (About 100ml for a normal sized nest). Put the bag or container under the nest, cut the remaining branches and let it fall in. Close the top and leave it for a couple of hours. The CTC will kill all the wasps but leave the grubs.
If the nest is in the ground or the eaves of a house (preferably leave the second one alone as it is too much hassle), arm yourself with a can of Ant Powder, find the hole where the wasps go in and out (occassionally there are two) and pour a liberal amount of powder in and around the hole. Leave it till the following day and observe. Once the wasps are no longer to be seen, get digging. This method kills the wasps but not the grubs.

Once you've got the cake and grubs keep it in a fridge or freezer until you want it. Freezing will kill the grubs though.

One word of caution though, don't panic if you disturb the wasps before killing them. Just walk away.
Its a good idea to make sure that you do have something like 'WaspEeze' or an antihistimine spray with you just incase you get got but if your careful and don't rush it, you'll have more grubs than you can ever use.

Dave

Steve

Thanks folks, if I pluck up the courage to collect the nest and grubs as described I will let you know how I got on.
I will have to wait until my wife's back is turned, she already thinks I am completely mad for even contemplating collecting wasp grubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.