Washed Out Sweetcorn

Westy555

Afternoon All

My Wife bought some sweetcorn to go with her salad for lunch the other day and as per usual she went to M&S food hall (the most expense place to buy it) but when she opened the carton the sweetcorn was very pale like a washed out look, when she wasn't looking I grabbed a handful and took it fishing, the M&S corn out fished my usual bright Tesco sweetcorn by a country mile and I can only put this down to the fact that the M&S corn appeared safe to fish compered to my usual bright in colour corn, has anybody else used it ?

Mark

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
not used it but that is why i used washed out boilies and add white dye to my pop ups and hooked baits as im 1000% convinced the fish recognise it as old and safe and i never put a fresh bait on my hook so to me that makes perfect sense re whiter sweetcorn though there could be other things such as if it was sweeter or not etc.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Reminds me of a lake on a campsite in France. The caro would ignore a new, whole piece of corn. You wouldn't catch until you cut the corn in half.

I always thought that was because once ragged by the roach & rudd the corn was deemed safe to eat. So the cut corn replicated that.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What I have noticed with sweetcorn in freezer shops is that some of the frozen corn is a lot paler than the canned corn (and a lot cheaper). I haven't tried it but by the sound of things it might be worth giving it a go..

Simon R

Site Supporter
You used to be able to buy white sweetcorn - it was part of the Jolly Green Giant range so it wasn't cheap - and I can't hand on heart say that it made that much difference to my catch rate.

Just looked on the JGG website and it doesn't appear that they still produce it:(

Can still get the Pescaviva version but at £2.19 a tin you're not gonna want to feed much:p
Pescaviva Natural White Sweetcorn

Simon

62tucker

Site Supporter
not used it but that is why i used washed out boilies and add white dye to my pop ups and hooked baits as im 1000% convinced the fish recognise it as old and safe and i never put a fresh bait on my hook so to me that makes perfect sense re whiter sweetcorn though there could be other things such as if it was sweeter or not etc.
Just a question. Why would a old bait be safer than a new bait. Surely a old baits been avoided so could pose danger. ? Just wondering the theory

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Errrm so im not a fish so nothing is fully proven but there are many ideas and thoughts from much better anglers than me on this subject. So first off is that boilies go paler/change colour, go softer and swell up the longer they are in water, so if a bait has been in the water for a while and looks old then fish that get regularly targeted see that as safe as its been there a while or big and older/wiser fish who have swam around for a while see it that way.

Also the smell and taste that is given off by the bait changes and (can) also reduce based on the different acids, flavours, oils etc that are used within the bait so the bait changes in many ways the longer it is in the water, some say that this can be more attractive to the fish as well as the fish knowing the bait is more digestable/better for it or just smells and tastes better.

I have really noticed this when i fish in france for a week, i soak all my baits for 24hrs before i use them so i take soaking boilies with me when i first leave and each day i prepare a batch for the next day, some people also soak boilies then glug them again but ive tried it and it just didnt work for me, that can be good on silty lakes as ive fished really silty lakes and my hookbait has come back darker and with a silty smell after being out there for 24hrs so if you pre soak and then glug the bait doesnt soak in teh silt but its rare i fish really silty lakes.

also on quick evening trips i have done much better using soaked boilies than just using fresh though this could be luck, time of day, fish switching on, etc etc.

anyway if im in france and i run out of bait and/or i forget to soak baits, ive even seen my feeding spot go dead for 24 hrs when ive put fresh bait on there after using soaked baits so ive experienced it and also for me its a confidence thing and even if its just confidence then i think that is 80% of fishing for big fish anyway.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Just a question. Why would a old bait be safer than a new bait. Surely a old baits been avoided so could pose danger. ? Just wondering the theory
I Don’t think fish are clever enough to tell the difference once it’s surrounded by murky water, detritus, and other rubbish washing about.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
ive seen fish spook off a single fresh boilie, def not all fish but im sure the bigger the wiser as we all learn as we get older and animals do as well

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
for that matter ive also seen fish come in and eat all teh boilies and leave the sweetcorn and vice versa, some of use prefer one food over the other so dont see why fish cant be the same, makes logical sense at least

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
for that matter ive also seen fish come in and eat all teh boilies and leave the sweetcorn and vice versa, some of use prefer one food over the other so dont see why fish cant be the same, makes logical sense at least

There could be something in this. I was fishing luncheon meat last year (pleasure session) and the bites dried up. not a nibble. Switched to bacon grill and it was like all hell let loose. Both were cubed to 8mm, both look the same colour yet the luncheon meat was ignored.

johng19

me@home.com
And where did you see this

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
god knows, one of the many lakes i have fished, lol cant note every lake

sjmclean

Generally when the water is a bit clearer, washed out colours work much better than bright. Not always the case of course.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Sweetcorn may be not the best bait to try and prove or disprove the washed out theory, can be a very hit or miss bait, in terms of fish wanting it or avoiding it to the point of being spooked by it, especially if they see a lot of it.

How fish feel about a 'safe' bait may be dependent on how the fish are feeling. If they are on it, then a washed out bait may be viewed with scepticism-why has that bait been here 'longer'. If they are feeding sporadically and not heavily then fish may interpret the bait as safe because it may well not have been eaten yet. From that I have used washed out boilies when the going has been harder, buying that bite by short changing the fish.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
You used to be able to buy white sweetcorn - it was part of the Jolly Green Giant range so it wasn't cheap - and I can't hand on heart say that it made that much difference to my catch rate.

Just looked on the JGG website and it doesn't appear that they still produce it:(

Can still get the Pescaviva version but at £2.19 a tin you're not gonna want to feed much:p
Pescaviva Natural White Sweetcorn

Simon

You can still get "Géant Vert" Mais Blanc in many French supermarkets.
I get a tray brought back whenever I can find find someone going over there in a car.

Good stuff, slightly smaller than standard yellow corn, and much more tender.
Thanks to Barbelcatcher for the tip!