Was I a bit mean ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the dash back to the car from the river bank lunchtime today I was stopped by part of a group of adults and kids I’d passed 30mins before who were fishing a “match” between themselves. Lots of Woolies 6’ rods with curly line and floats as thick as your finger 15yds out showing 2” of tip or feeder rods with big pit reels and tips in the sky.

Conversation went:

“You not caught anything either then”

“I was getting a fish a cast mate; perch, chub (actually dace) and roach”

”Can’t have, none of us have had anything here”

”You are too far out, you need to be tight to the bank”

”The fish are all splashing out there”

At this point I unclipped the hook from my top kit which I’d left set up, popped on a single red maggot from their bait box, dropped three or four freebies in 18” from the bank, followed it with my 4’ deep rig and had a perch in my hand within a ten count.

”Just a thought but you could try what I’ve just done”

and legged it from the open mouthed adult and kids as I really was pushing getting back to work in time.

In hindsight I think I should have spent another 5 minutes sorting out their terminal tackle and getting them on the fish but in my haste I think I may have been a bit mean spirited doing what I did and just grandstanding.

Not a great advert for angling I’m afraid.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
On the dash back to the car from the river bank lunchtime today I was stopped by part of a group of adults and kids I’d passed 30mins before who were fishing a “match” between themselves. Lots of Woolies 6’ rods with curly line and floats as thick as your finger 15yds out showing 2” of tip or feeder rods with big pit reels and tips in the sky.

Conversation went:

“You not caught anything either then”

“I was getting a fish a cast mate; perch, chub (actually dace) and roach”

”Can’t have, none of us have had anything here”

”You are too far out, you need to be tight to the bank”

”The fish are all splashing out there”

At this point I unclipped the hook from my top kit which I’d left set up, popped on a single red maggot from their bait box, dropped three or four freebies in 18” from the bank, followed it with my 4’ deep rig and had a perch in my hand within a ten count.

”Just a thought but you could try what I’ve just done”

and legged it from the open mouthed adult and kids as I really was pushing getting back to work in time.

In hindsight I think I should have spent another 5 minutes sorting out their terminal tackle and getting them on the fish but in my haste I think I may have been a bit mean spirited doing what I did and just grandstanding.

Not a great advert for angling I’m afraid.
You didnt have time , hopefully they learnt by looking at your rig and theres always next time as im sure you will come across them or others again to offer your advice 😉.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
A message to you Rudy: You did well. You demonstrated how it's done. They saw it with their own eyes. No one should be expected to adopt a entire family of beginners, when your fishing is done, and you are hurrying home.

Robwooly

Yeah I echo all the above, you've showed them there are fish there, chances are you could have given them the full, simple guide on hook size, type of float and when and how to feed even donating some gear, yet ten minutes later you'll find them casting to the skyline, with a stick float attached like a waggler with a single maggot on a size 8, I've had this happen on a number of occasions.