Warwickshire Avon Stratford upon Avon area

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My grandad and his mate are spending a few days fishing at a caravan site on the Warwickshire Avon near Stratford upon Avon in mid October and seeing as it’s only 45 minutes from home I’m planning on joining them for a day or two if work allows.

I’ve fished there once before in autumn and on the Stratford lido stretch in winter and have done ok on silvers but would appreciate any advice from anyone who’s fished the Avon in that area? Mixed bags of Roach, Dace, Chub, Perch etc will be the target. Thanks in advance!

bluemack

Site Supporter
Hi Silverfisher, i,ve fished the town water many times and its a aquarium to be honest,waggler down the middle of the river about 4 to 5ft deep
for loads of roach,stick a rod length out for roach and perch(some very big perch occasionally) ,groundbait feeder down the middle for some very
good bream( i,ve had them to about 7lb) gudgeon ,dace and eels will turn up at some point,so will the pike!!!! Some very big carp on boilie or pellet.
Strangely i,ve never had a Chub or Barbel from this stretch,although i,m sure there will be some about.
Pole is very effective,although every method will work,also pretty well all baits work.
For parking try to get on the cherry trees hotel car park @ £3.00 a day otherwise its about £7.00 a day on the council car park.
If i were you i would fish it on a day when the weather is a bit grim(dull and raining if you can) or you,ll have hordes of tourists,boats and swans
to contend with,i don,t fish there in the warmer weather for this reason,it can be a nightmare.
Anywhere from the rowing club up to the theatre are good pegs,moored boats can be an issue so bear that in mind.
£3.50 a day for what can be superb fishing.
Good luck matey. Bluemack.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks mate that’s really helpful. Probably going to have a session at the campsite stretch and one on a day ticket water either the lido again or somewhere in the town. Previous sessions there I just trotted maggots on the stick a couple rod lengths out just off the bottom for respectable bags of silvers so good to hear I was doing roughly then right thing. Going to try have a bit more of a serious go at it this time now I have fished it a couple times.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Stratford's a lovely places. Lots of traffc getting into the town centre from all the visitors in summer. Might have to fish it sometime next year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes it is indeed. Been a few times with it being pretty close to home, seems to have a good combination of good fishing and good pubs so what’s not to like!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Should be safer to go now as all the Japanese will have gone back home to watch the Rugby World Cup.
The numbers of Chinese,Korean and Japanese visitors to the Midlands tourist spots by me increase every year and they certainly love our history.
In Bourton on the water last Tuesday and it was like downtown Seoul.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah where I am in Oxfordshire it is the same, it’s become very affordable for them to come since the Brexit vote knackered the pound.