Warm winter Fishing Jacket

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I work on the layered principle, a good waterproof and wind proof outer layer then either a fleece or down jacket, a good thick sweatshirt then a tee shirt, if I am to hot I can always take a layer off.
If you move around, from swim to swim along the bankside, this is the only way. Remove a layer or two, move, put it back on.

By far the warmest jacket I have is a Buckland workwear jacket from Tuff Stuff. And cost me less than £30. Just search Tuff Stuff on eBay. Heavy duty, warm, workwear at less than half what similar angling branded clothing costs.

Amen!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
It should be no surprise that I have covered this subject in my blog.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
It should be no surprise that I have covered this subject in my blog.

Good. I have heard quite a few people telling me that their feet get cold, so they are looking for a new pair of boots, or that their hands are freezing, so could anyone please recommend a warm pair of gloves (by the way, use mitts instead of gloves). They miss the point entirely. The first things to get cold, when you loose heat is always the extremities, i.e. your hands and feet. Thats the way the body works. The torso and the head, where the really important bits of your physiology are to be found, will always have priority. Warm blood will flow to where it's most needed to keep you alive. So if the heatloss is caused by a shitty jacket, or no wollen hat on your head, the feet and hands are always the first to suffer. Your feet gets cold? Buy a better jacket. Your hands are freezing? Use a wollen cap.

Maverick

Site Supporter
By far the warmest jacket I have is a Buckland workwear jacket from Tuff Stuff. And cost me less than £30. Just search Tuff Stuff on eBay. Heavy duty, warm, workwear at less than half what similar angling branded clothing costs.

Think I'll order one of these for day to day activities. What the sizes like Neil?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Ordered a Tracker Core Multi-Suit and think I'll also treat myself to a buckland jacket as well. Thanks for all the recommendations (y)

BURNING

you can find mk3 raf jackets off ebay for about £70, I'm not saying its fun to play pretend but these jackets come in a material called ventile which is pretty damn fantastic and aren't made anymore because the costs are so high, in modern manufacturing ventile jackets cost about £300-500 so this is a good example of mil surplus offering excellent value

when you are searching ebay listings you want to find the date of manufacture on the inside label (mine is 2007) because I think after 2012 (not sure about this you should look it up) they stopped using ventile and moved on to a cheaper fabric

mine came with the name of a raf pilot written on the label which was a fun surprise, looked him up and he is a chinook pilot, no idea how these MOD jackets came into the hands of ebay sellers though