Warm weather

Blubberguts

Site Supporter
I’ve been fishing at my local fishery pool nr Rudyard staffs over the last couple of weeks and I’ve noticed the amount of fish I’ve been catching getting less and less went on Monday and everyone there blanked me and my son caught one each .
my question is does all of this warm dry weather affect the fishing I’ve heard it can reduce the amount of oxygen in the water making fish harder to catch and possibly stop them feeding, is this true .
Thanks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve had enough brilliant days fishing in sustained spells of warm weather to know that it alone won’t effect the fishing. There will be other variables involved like the venue, time of year, the amount of angling pressure, other elements of the weather etc.

Blubberguts

Site Supporter
I did think with the lock down restrictions be lifted slightly it’s been possibly been over fished for 2 weeks , normally on most days there’s 5-6 fishing on 30 pegs now here’s been 15-20 fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I suspect no angling pressure for 6 weeks after not much over the winter due to the bad weather being then followed by mass pressure over the last couple weeks will have played a part. It’s probably a similar situation to how the first couple weeks of the river season can be a bit slow after no anglers and their baits for 3 months then suddenly loads of both.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Myself and two mates fished Knypersley reservoir last tuesday which is not too far from Rudyard pool, and its a water we have done well at, over the past few years, but on tuesday we didnt get a bite between us, but a few bream and roach were caught on some of the noted pegs, but nothing special. We were fishing into over 20 ft of water, and most likely the fish were down the far end of the reservoir in the shallows preparing for spawning. We will be back there in a couple of weeks to try again.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yes - been happening on most of our club ponds. Nobody has been bagging up apart from the odd session. Crucians are spawning. There've been some great fish caught but not in numbers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It could be spawning for the carp species but it wouldn’t explain it for stuff like roach, perch and bream as they will have long since spawned unless you are very far north.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Caught 66 carp on Monday 1 tench 2 ide. Not quiet where I was. Feeding frenzy

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Fish like consistency, if the spell of warm weather stays for any length of time the fish get used to it and it can cause a feeding frenzy. I remember the heat wave of 1976, we were catching tench at Attenborough at midday; this had, hitherto, been unknown (y)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
you can have spawning, the water can get too hot and the oxygen can fully deplete leading to a huge fish kill as well as the temperature of the water leading to a algae bloom (which can also influence the oxygen), lakes choked with weed have to be very careful.

also fish can switch on to the spawn as food of various fish as well as huge nutritional value so will rather eat that then our baits

plus if it gets too hot the fish can switch off completely, same as us if its too hot, we will just try and cool down and do as little as possible, keeping oxygen in the water def keeps the fish feeding for longer whether that be aeration from paddles or on the bottom of the lake, it needs management

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
A lot can depend on how you are fishing and what you are targeting. Sunday I had 39 fish but only 1 carp. Those that were out and out targeting carp saw very little action.

This was on Wellingborough's snake lake where I adopt a "catch all" approach. The beauty of the stocking policy is that you really don't know what you are going to hook next.

If you are struggling while targeting carp then have a re-think about what you are fishing for and what would constitute a satisfying day's fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The warmth certainly didn’t hinder me today. Fished what I’d call a commercial turned semi natural and had about 120 silvers for probably 25lb. Best day in ages.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I was a kid, in the summer holidays my Mum or Dad used to drop me off as a disused gravel pit at about 5am.
It was a typical free-to-fish water, generally pretty poor fishing, with roach, perch, pike and the odd bream.
I could catch until about 9am, then when the sun was fully on the water, it died on me.
But I was quite happy to wait all day, to catch the "evening rise", when the fish came on the feed again after 5pm.
And my patient parents put up with me wanting to catch one more fish as darkness fell.

Since lockdown, it feels to me as though this feeding pattern is repeated. The fish had a couple of months of peace and quiet.
When the ban was lifted, far from being hungry and eager to feed, the fish were spooked by the sudden disturbance caused by so many anglers on the bank. Before, there were usually 3 or 4 anglers on my local pond. The last time I went there were about 20, occupying about 90% of the pegs, some were balling in groundbait, others hammering in bank sticks and tent pegs - why on earth put up a bivvie on a fishery with no night fishing? Others were tinkering with multiple bite alarms, and crashing 4oz leads into neighbouring swims.
Chaos. And the fish didn't want to know.
Where normally it was possible at any time of day to catch a good mixed bag of quality roach, rudd and tench just a foot from the bank, all the fish have retreated to the deepest areas in the middle of the pond.

Come evening, after most of the anglers have packed up and gone home, the pond comes alive again and returns to its old self.
Just like that old gravel pit when I was a kid. The difference is that I can carry on fishing, and not say" Aww Mum, just one more cast, this is the last!"

Wansford August 23 2019.JPG

rudd

Site Supporter
High pressure and getting ready to spawn.

Glad its not Just me struggling ?

Silvers going mad at our venues whilst bigger species have gone in to lockdown ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Caught a few rudd with spawn in them yesterday which wasn’t surprising but as expected there was no signing of spawning from any of the roach, perch, bream or gudgeon. Makes perfect sense as I’ve never seen signs of spawning from any of them after April. Who needs carp when there’s loads of these to catch anyway!
1590663529231.jpeg