Wallis Cast

Total

Site Supporter
Yes he was quite a good angler and took me fishing with him from a very young age.

Keith
^^ Thank you Keith.....Your posts certainly reflect the above...:).....I was blessed with a loving Father who was a brilliant all round angler....Spending many a happy hour in his company at the bankside.....He was a 'giant' of a man, in all senses of the word....(y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
^^ Thank you Keith.....Your posts certainly reflect the above...:).....I was blessed with a loving Father who was a brilliant all round angler....Spending many a happy hour in his company at the bankside.....He was a 'giant' of a man, in all senses of the word....(y)
You are a lucky man... I never saw me old man regularly till I was 8 years old I was a Royal Navy brat... and when he did come out of the Navy in 66 he had no interest in fishing... to have a dad who shared your interests is something huge... all dad's are heroes to their sons

Total

Site Supporter
You are a lucky man... I never saw me old man regularly till I was 8 years old I was a Royal Navy brat... and when he did come out of the Navy in 66 he had no interest in fishing... to have a dad who shared your interests is something huge... all dad's are heroes to their sons
He was a night worker all his working life (Print) so we never saw much of him. He taught his four kids to fish but I was the only one to carry it on in my adult life.

It was good to spend so many quality hours with him when fishing and to pass on my acquired knowledge to him in later years....Lung cancer killed him at age 67...:(.....Life can be a right bitch at times....

BoldBear

I joined the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) in 1966 (the same year that your dad left the RN) but I joined the RN & Royal Marines Angling society and carried on fishing whenever it was possible.

Keith

Last edited:

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Err, not quite right that Len, I can wally cast no problem using a pin with a guard fitted. So long as the guard is a bickrdyke type guard there should be no problem.
It's the caged guards that prevent wally casting, the rapidex has a full cage guard. The trudex has a bickerdyke guard which enables you to wally cast, although the narrow drum is a pain for line stick.
As far as i'm aware there is only one okuma centrepin with a guard "the kennet" I think, and it's a caged guard so no use for wally casting. All the others are fine, infact, the okuma pins are fantastic imo.
Chaps, I wasn't being pedantic about it but my understanding of the Wallis cast was that the line came off the reel sideways, (like @'arry mentioned) therefore you couldn't make the cast properly if your reel had a line guard.
Having spent most of the evening surfing t'internet watching several experienced anglers demonstrating their interpretation of the Wallis cast I now appreciate that there are many variations on a theme, all of which have their advantages in certain situations.
I don't want to get into a widdle-up-the-wall argument so lets just agree that if you're happy with your casting technique and the float lands where you want it to, that's all that really matters. :)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Chaps, I wasn't being pedantic about it but my understanding of the Wallis cast was that the line came off the reel sideways, (like @'arry mentioned) therefore you couldn't make the cast properly if your reel had a line guard.
Having spent most of the evening surfing t'internet watching several experienced anglers demonstrating their interpretation of the Wallis cast I now appreciate that there are many variations on a theme, all of which have their advantages in certain situations.
I don't want to get into a widdle-up-the-wall argument so lets just agree that if you're happy with your casting technique and the float lands where you want it to, that's all that really matters. :)
I did wonder whether you might be confusing the Wallis cast with side casting and it appears that you are. Wallis casting should not involve any line coming off at 90 degrees. However, any casting that does involve the line spilling off the rim of a centrepin is indeed impossible with any kind of line guard fitted.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
I did wonder whether you might be confusing the Wallis cast with side casting and it appears that you are. Wallis casting should not involve any line coming off at 90 degrees. However, any casting that does involve the line spilling off the rim of a centrepin is indeed impossible with any kind of line guard fitted.
Thanks Sam, my mistake, it's all clear now. (y)

Total

Site Supporter
For those who want to 'cheat!':oops:;):love::devilish:

Ray Walton Rolling Pin.jpg

Browner

Site Supporter
It the same for me with a double haul when fly casting. I can do it in my head but can’t co-ordinate myself on the bank.

Arry

Site Supporter
For those who want to 'cheat!':oops:;):love::devilish:

Ray Walton Rolling Pin.jpg
Line twist city.... good concept, in reality they produce terrible line twist to the point where you have to take the twist out after every session... I have several Sidecasters and they are all the same

Arry

Site Supporter
These are Scout reels... all sidecasters... there is one thats a fair bit larger, (mainly for Pike fishing)... far better as just a normal pin and used in the margins for carp
20211011_214104.jpg

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Got the 60 and 80 myself but they are not used now, just part of my collection.