Wall plug sockets paint

stikflote

Site Supporter
HI, the sockets in m,y kitchen are coloured Black. ,over time the colour has worn off leaving the sockets showing a brass

colour they might be brass ,ive tried to paint one with matt black car paint from a spray can but it reacted so i had take off ,
does any know of any paint may be spray ay cans that will do the job for me ??

Attachments

• F85AFB8C-EF38-4A7B-B65C-69029FD26A5A.jpeg
    F85AFB8C-EF38-4A7B-B65C-69029FD26A5A.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 11

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If this stuff won't do it Keith I don't know of anything that will....

stikflote

Site Supporter
Thank you Dave, ill be down tool station tomorrow, will have try and clean them up a bit because of all the oil and sweaty fingers
on the switches

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you can, get some Acetone and give them a wipe with it on a cloth before you paint them as it will remove any grease and loose dirt.
Don't use too much though as it is inflammable :)

Last edited:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
A bit long winded but Plasticote is the way forward. Remove the switches from the plate, rub down the remaining paint and get a "key" on the metal. Prime with any metal primer and Plasticote 3 very thin coats with 15 mins between coats if done indoors.
I have restored many switches etc using this method and my vintage 1938 Singer 201k was restored doing this exact same thing and 4 years later it still looks like the day it was made.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Whatever you use you'll need to remove them from the wall and clean and prep/prime them first.
Wouldn't it be easier just to replace them with black switches?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
HI, the sockets in m,y kitchen are coloured Black. ,over time the colour has worn off leaving the sockets showing a brass

colour they might be brass ,ive tried to paint one with matt black car paint from a spray can but it reacted so i had take off ,
Has gert polished them ,that can cause a reaction. As mentioned above clean and de⁰grease

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

It can take an age with the prep

Attachments

• IMG-20201118-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20201118-WA0012.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13