Walking sticks

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I sometimes need a stick to help balance and walking. I generally don't need one around the house or in a shop, but like to have one for walking any distance or particularly walking on rough or uneven surfaces.
I usually use a staff made from hazel with a thumbgrip of roebuck antler. It is very solid and strong, but also very heavy. This can cause pain in my arm, shoulder and upper back after a while. I do like that style of stick though, rather than the shorter type with the 90* handle.
Unfortunately, my wife is probably more unsteady than I am and needs support most of the time.
I was browsing on AlExpress a while ago and saw this
On a whim I ordered one, along with a pair of the Nordic walking poles for my wife.
Well, they arrived the other day and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I thought the would probably be very flimsy, but in fact they feel strong and sturdy and very lightweight. Long term I can't say, but I really like them and so does my wife.
This might be of interest for a few people on here.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
peeled the thumbsticks I cut the other day and they are drying out in the store

will be ready in about six weeks for the brass wire whipping to go on

PAB

Site Supporter
it is always worth having a word with your local Red Cross mobility aids dept I used to Volunteer for them and we would get all sorts of stuff like that donated and we would sell them on I have seen genuine Ivory and antler sticks sold for a small donation.

JayD

I always have a few of the anti shock walking poles in the boot. I'm not bad at walking, but they do help when we are on uneven ground, or on hills. I bought some a few years ago when in the Lake District, got them at a discount from a shop in Cockermouth, that was closing down. They are as you say stronger than they look, and easily adjustable to suit both my wife, me, and even my 5 year grandson when he comes with us. Although his can change into a sword, a fishing rod, a gun, as well as a walking aid.

John

Tyecon

Get yourself a good irish fighting stick shillelagh good for walking self protection and home evasion Screenshot_20200521-143918_Chrome.jpg