Waiting lists for clubs

Zerkalo

What's the longest you've had to wait to join a club? I want to join this club so I can fish for the Tench in one of it's waters but apparently at least 4 year waiting list for it.

Anyone else a member of a club they had to wait years to join?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nope only clubs I’ve ever joined have just been sign up and fish jobs, probably because they are river clubs.

Zerkalo

This one has stretches of the Severn but you can day ticket there. The Tench estate lake and the Bream Reservoir are club members only!

Going to try their stretches of the Severn eventually but might as well make use of my BAA in the meantime.

jononcb

Big waiting lists still on the River Trent near me for Collingham AA, Ashfield and Notts Piscatorials membership. Probably looking at 3 or 4 years minimum.

Zerkalo

I suppose at least it makes it a bit more exclusive when you finally get to fish them.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Thing is, a lot of places in clubs and syndicates go to "Names" been a victim of that meself

Zerkalo

I've heard this one might be like that, existing members get priority, so you basically have to wait till someone leaves or worse. The guy in my tackle shop told me he hopes it's his year as it's his fourth year waiting. I've only just gone onto it so got a long wait ahead.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Joined Pride of Derby and currently a 6 year wait for the £350 a year Pride and Olvers premium lakes.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I can't think of a local club with a waiting list these days. Most are doing well enough if they can keep their heads above water. Some may still have upper limits to the number of members they will accept, but few come close to that figure these days. The big clubs in Notts and the North West that do have waiting lists generally have some superb waters, and perhaps plenty of them. It would be pretty rare to find any club or syndicate with a waiting list that didn't have an outstanding water of some kind.

I do recall one local club that had a waiting list when I was a kid. They also required a proposer for each potential member. I didn't know a soul in that club when I was a kid, so I couldn't even apply for membership, let alone get on the waiting list. They had a water that I'd have given a testicle to fish. Sadly, now that I can join the club, the water concerned is not even a pale shadow of what it was, though they are trying to resurrect it.

Syndicates are a different kettle of fish entirely. Those without some kind of waiting list are either not very good, very new, or they don't have a limited membership (possibly not really a syndicate at all).

tunna

Zerkalo If its Kinver freeliners you want to join, i've heard its more like 8-10 years waiting list :eek::eek:

Zerkalo

Yeah that's the one Tunna. There's a member on here that has membership. I heard it was 10 years to start with but have been told it's less too. The chap in Club 2000 tackle shop is hopeful and this is his fourth year waiting.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm on a waiting list for a club and I've only got another three years or so to wait :)

IanG1

Site Supporter
The whole waiting list thing always reminds me of this LOL

“I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.”
― Groucho Marx,

Gwillim

Nothing around here really, let alone worth waiting for lol couple of clubs that have a selection of waters with cheap membership locally but having looked at their waters they tend to be choked with weed and poorly maintained, not really what i'm looking for

Zerkalo

There's this club near me too.

I'm considering it but I'd essentially be paying £100 a year just to fish the one non carp water as I have other carp waters I can already fish.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Tongue in cheek,
... but how do these clubs know what the wait will be?
Do they have a calendar on the wall showing the predicted dates for the demise of their current members?
:oops::unsure:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Nothing around here really, let alone worth waiting for lol couple of clubs that have a selection of waters with cheap membership locally but having looked at their waters they tend to be choked with weed and poorly maintained, not really what i'm looking for
What clubs are those Gwillim?

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Tongue in cheek,
... but how do these clubs know what the wait will be?
Do they have a calendar on the wall showing the predicted dates for the demise of their current members?
:oops::unsure:
Quite easy, if a club has a membership of 600 and each year, on average, if there are say 10 deaths, 15 resignations, 5 expulsions and 20 transfers to veteran or HLM ship, which typically total 50 memberships to be filled per year. Then if 150 have expressed an interest than the waiting list is 3 years.

PureGenius

Gutted... Wakefield AC (£33 a year) lost the fishing rights to Nostell Priory in December of 2017.
Nostell was then taken over by a fishing club 50 miles away, which I was going to join when I heard the news, Ashfield Angling Club.
Today, there are currently 1038 people on the waiting list, albeit a few names are duplicated, and Joining fee for new members is priced at 180 quid.
I must admit some of their waters look stunning, but I won't be joining the list anytime soon. Don't get out enough to justify it.