Waggling rods in the garden

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
At the moment I'm a combination of bored from not going fishing much at the moment and excited as we approach summer.

Got my 12' Tricast Long Range Feeder Rod out in the garden again just then, probably about the 10th time since I've bought it. I'm yet to use it but I'd say it's one of the best rods I've bought from what I can tell, very impressed with it. I put a 520 Preston Extremity reel on it and threaded the 6lb Maxima through the rings, got my dad to hold the line while I pretend I'm playing a fish. :LOL: Lots of power in the mid section as expected but hopefully still forgiving enough for Bream.

How often do you get your rods out just for a waggle or am I just a saddo?

PS. The reel is very nice too. Only used it once but not had a fish on it yet.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Yes I do waggle, but it's not always a good idea.
Many moons ago I made myself a "Bitsa" rod - bits o' this and bits o' that. Took me ages, although the whipping was rubbish.
After the third coat of varnish had dried, I took it out into the garden for a good waggle.

One of the ferrules was a touch on the loose side, and the top joint sailed about 50 yards through the air into the back garden of the house two doors down.
A bit embarrassing as a grown man, knocking on the door and asking if I could please have my rod back.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
These are the 10 rods I've bought in the last 2 years.

Tricast Excellence Waggler 12'
Tricast Trilogy Distance Feeder 12'
Shakespeare LXL Super Team 13/17'
Shakespeare Mach 3 13'
Shakespeare Agility 2 16'
Greys TXL Twin Tip 12'
Drennan Acolyte 17'
Guru N-Gauge Feeder 10'
Korum 1.75lb Barbel Rod 11'
Korum 1.75lb Barbel Rod 12'

11th one will be a Cadence no3 14'.

Silver fan 82

These are the 10 rods I've bought in the last 2 years.

Tricast Excellence Waggler 12'
Tricast Trilogy Distance Feeder 12'
Shakespeare LXL Super Team 13/17'
Shakespeare Mach 3 13'
Shakespeare Agility 2 16'
Greys TXL Twin Tip 12'
Drennan Acolyte 17'
Guru N-Gauge Feeder 10'
Korum 1.75lb Barbel Rod 11'
Korum 1.75lb Barbel Rod 12'

11th one will be a Cadence no3 14'.
Nice! What do think of the Korum rods? I've never had a waggle of a Korum rod but I do like the Korum gear that I have used / got.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice! What do think of the Korum rods? I've never had a waggle of a Korum rod but I do like the Korum gear that I have used / got.
They're alright - have seen better looking Barbel rods with other anglers - but very good for the money and I have no qualms about using them or buying them again. They're the first 1.75lb rods I've used and they're very stiff and powerful. Agree on Korum in general though, great tackle for me.

Silver fan 82

They're alright - have seen better looking Barbel rods with other anglers - but very good for the money and I have no qualms about using them or buying them again. They're the first 1.75lb rods I've used and they're very stiff and powerful.
It's probably the case with other items they produce?
I have a Korum brolly, had it for a while. As you say it's alright, does the job but its quite heavy to carry long distances.
I think this is why having a waggle in the tackle shop is a good idea.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's probably the case with other items they produce?
I have a Korum brolly, had it for a while. As you say it's alright, does the job but its quite heavy to carry long distances.
I think this is why having a waggle in the tackle shop is a good idea.
For a while I thought I'd bought a pair of pokers but when you bend into a fish they're quite through actioned, just very powerful. I love using them!

I don't generally waggle rods before I buy, bad I know, but I haven't gone far wrong so far and happy with what I've bought with research.

If I was going for Barbel rods again @rd115 had a pair of Greys rods which to me look like some of the nicest I've personally seen, which isn't that many.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I have a set of distance sticks set up in the garden, ( I also have a set in my rod bag), after a session, I do like to see what distance I’ve ended up catching at, just for a reference point for next time, e.g, I clipped my long rods up at 57mtrs at home, but, I probably finished up at between 80/90mtrs, to keep bites coming, I will check it later, before the weekend, just for my records👍

Total

Site Supporter
I have a set of distance sticks set up in the garden, ( I also have a set in my rod bag), after a session, I do like to see what distance I’ve ended up catching at, just for a reference point for next time, e.g, I clipped my long rods up at 57mtrs at home, but, I probably finished up at between 80/90mtrs, to keep bites coming, I will check it later, before the weekend, just for my records👍
Just short chucking then?:unsure::p:ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My all time favourite waggler rod. On eBay now. I’m tempted. 😁
2B08E33C-7601-47CF-8EF0-1806CE3EFB02.png

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo

I had a pair of the Korum Barbel rods, (1.75tc) and decent rods they were. I then bought a pair of the Greys Barbel rods, (1.75tc) and after using those the Korum's were sold. The Greys rods are slightly lighter and have a little more 'punch' behind them even though they are the same test curves.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo

I had a pair of the Korum Barbel rods, (1.75tc) and decent rods they were. I then bought a pair of the Greys Barbel rods, (1.75tc) and after using those the Korum's were sold. The Greys rods are slightly lighter and have a little more 'punch' behind them even though they are the same test curves.
The Greys rods I only saw sat on a tripod but they looked thinner in the tip and a bit more refined, nicer finish etc than the Korum rods. I'm happy enough with the Korum rods though as it's not as though there's that much finesse to my Barbel fishing. Greys rods do look very nice though. (y)