Wagglers

matti

Site Supporter
Which do you prefer fishing with loaded or unloaded wagglers, and why?

Personally I prefer unloaded, as they give me more options

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Loaded as they cast better and take smaller locking shot for a cleaner rig and cleaner water entry and as I usually like to fish on the drop on wagglers they allow for less shot down the line

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Unloaded. I like to be able to alter the shotting to suit the weather conditions, fish moving in the water column or a different species has moved into my peg.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Loaded for stillwater as I can just use float stops to lock the float. Unloaded for rivers so I can have more of a shotting pattern. No expert especially on the latter. And that is, unless fishing the lift method when I will use unloaded.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Use both but for different situations - loaded are great for fishing on the drop with minimum shot required whereas unloaded allows me to fiddle about with my shooting pattern to tease out finicky fish.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
For this time of the year I used loaded to reduce the amount of shot needed for the line and I find them easier to cast. But in winter I used unloaded to reduce the chances of spooking fish.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Unloaded all the time. If I want less shot down the line I just increase the bulk under the float.

RMNDIL

Loaded.

Can't remember the last time I used unloaded - must be 30 years. Plenty of permutations with locking shot and droppers as float weights can be swapped around. Most often I use one size weight up from that with which the float is supplied with so I can have fewer shot around & down (so put the 2.5g weight into a 2.0g float etc).

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Can`t abide loaded floats, a well made waggler is a thing of beauty and finesse not to be ruined by a bloody great weight.

Browner

Loaded. As been already said, I think they cast better. The only unloaded I use are bodied wagglers which I use as sliders for the ressy that I fish.

davepellet

not a fan of loaded floats, but I do have some...
although I do mostly fish with the bulk around the float, I like to have the knowledge that I could alter that if I wanted a bulk lower down, or if I wanted to spread shot evenly down the line... or even if I want to stick some on the deck, lift style

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Only unloaded.

I remember reading (years ago) that loaded floats dive a bit deeper on impact ... whether that’s true others can advise.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I usually use unloaded. I don't mind using locking shot around the float. The only time I use loaded is fishing the slider.

BoldBear

I never use loaded wagglers but I do use ‘semi loaded’ onion wagglers which have a small copper loading in their base (see diagram).
Onion.gif

They don’t cock at all like a loaded float and the loading can only be felt if you hold the float by it’s tip but the loading in the onion waggler makes the float fly perfectly straight and true and without the characteristic waggle that gave the wagglers their name. Plus you can still place shot on the line below it.

The Onion waggler casts much further and more accurately than a totally unloaded waggler and with the hooklength flying along behind it as it flies through the air and can be a godsend when you need to put your float tight up against lilies or the far bank as long as you don’t check your float just before it lands.
The Onion waggler doesn’t tend to sink or make a heavy splash on landing like a loaded float often does either.

Keith

Last edited:

Carl t

I love the Drennan visi wags on a deep still water I fish , I put 5/6 no 8s below the float locked in with flaot stops, and 3 no10 droppers (I think that's it) , if the wind picks or you want to go out further up you simply replace it with the next size up Waggler and I think I takes. Another 8 or two to dot it down but not to much of a faf, apparently they are meant to cock same to the shot regardless of size but that could be addressed, the weights are interchangeable too if you want to mix match, 😉

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Unloaded on a river.
'Twas ever thus for most of us who grew up on the river circuit.

That Dave Harrell fellow seems to know a bit about waggler fishing on rivers. None of the traditional river wagglers he sells are loaded.