waggler line

bigdavewsf

im thinking of going old school for a whilst just to keep things fresh,fishing more natural venues , i may even venture back on the rivers now and again .il be trying to not use the pole, and fancy getting my old match rods out now last time i used a waggler for silvers on a regular basis the standard set up was 2.6lb bayer to 1.1lb bayer or if going for the big stuff 1.7lb hook lengths (for you youngsters you best ask your dad)

can anyone give me some recommendations for main line for waggler fishing

Arch

Site Supporter
Upstream wind - Bayer or Floatfish.
Downstream wind - Maxima.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have always used 4lb maxima but recently took advice I got on here and got some 3.2lb float fish and 3lb maxima as really is plenty strong enough for the fishing I do and should in theory cast and pick up better with the lower diameter. Given the bad weather I haven't had the chance to use either yet but if I had to hedge bets I reckon I'll prefer the 3lb maxima as just feels a bit nicer to me.

adriang

Site Supporter
2 1/2lb maxima is my go to for both waggler and stick, with a couple of spools loaded with Berkley 3lb simply because I was given a few spools when I bought a pair of reels.

Back when I used to do a lot of match fishing it was mainly 2 1/2 maxima for waggler and 2.1 beyer for stick.

jasonb

Account Locked
I reckon there's better lines out there to use than maxima for float fishing, dh pro float and pro match being 2.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
When it comes to line (or anything else), each will have their own 'go to' make/brand. Some good lines have already been mentioned so I'll throw one into the mix that shouldn't be ignored...the Silstar Match Team line. It has a good knot strength for the diameter and has good abrasion resistance.

nejohn

Site Supporter
2 or 3lb maxima for me on the waggler, if fishing top and bottom it will be 2.7 or 3.2 perlon, been using them for years and never had a problem, maxima is tough as old boots and the little bit of stretch is a nice safety net for when you hit the lumps. 3lb maxima is plenty strong enough, only scale up to 4lb if you want to tow your car...!!

bigdavewsf

when i was a lad and used to float fish all the time i was a Bayer man i didnt really get on with maxima for float fishing preferring it for when i was ledgering i didnt think you would still get Bayer nowadays...but i do now so i think as im going old school i may as well stick with that too...many thanks for the input lads...now to blow some cobwebs off my old canal greys

Arch

Site Supporter
What is the reason for this? Is it due to weight of line? I’ve never used maxima so have no experience how it behaves.

I'm speaking from my own experience here, so it's open to debate.

With an upstream wind, I want a line to float so I can lift it off the surface and let the wind catch it and slow the float down a little. Same with a Stick float. With a downstream wind it's difficult to control the line with the wind blowing, so I want to sink the line. So Maxima is my choice.

HTH.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For the waggler when you want to sink the line, Preston Sinking Mono, 3lb, it is advertised as a feeder line, but it’s perfect for the waggler.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Lots of good sense on here, I'm a Bayer lover as it just does it all, strong, resistant, floats, supple and knots really well. However I will use a high tech hook link at times, other wise its 2.6lb main line and 1.5lb hook-link. For fish up to around 3lb its great. For bigger fish float fishing like barbel, it's 6lb sensor and 5lb hook-link.