Waggler Fishing for the first time.

BobGunnis

I am a novice as regards to angling but have had some success on the pole but would now like to have a go at Waggler fishing. I have bought a Drennan No 4 Loaded Carp Crystal 2.5g float but wonder if I have to add shot the the line to help sink the hook bait? I am intending to fish with 8mm Pellets. Any advice will be most welcome

satinet

Site Supporter
By waggler do you mean pellet waggler or traditional waggler?

I had a drennan ones like that but its peacock. No weight needed - more for pellet waggler style fishing than fishing on the deck.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Most loaded wagglers require the addition of some weight to cock them fully. How much depends on the exact float in question.
The Drennan Loaded Carp Crystals will require some additional weight to cock properly.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Bob

Use a size 16 or 14 hook, set 1 inch over depth. Assuming it's 4-5ft deep use 3 x No 10 dropper shot. 1st 10 ins from the hook, 2nd 8ins above and 3rd 8ins above that. Assuming you're using 4lb main line, ( I would recommend Maxima), this will give you a nice slow drop through the water, typical of your loose feed.

Feed little and often 4-8 pellets at a time.

If the fish start coming up in the water and chances are they will when it starts to warm up, swap to a 4g pellet waggler set 12 ins deep with no shot down the line. Feed wise you'll need to feed more frequently and don't be afraid to feed a fair bit of bait over a session.