Waggler close in

mbuna_matt

Use a centre pin and a pole float. No worries about light clutch. Use your thumb.
Long rod/deep water. Shorter rod/shallower water.
Brilliant fun that, just beware of bruised knuckles or burnt thumbs as you try to slow down a double figure margin lump!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
For people who can't play the banjo?:unsure::whistle:....
Ha ha:)

One of the lakes I fish is very shallow literally two feet a couple of rod lengths out, plenty of carp to double figures and there is no
warning they just take off towards the middle of the lake at a rate of knots. The clutch has to be set light unless you want your rod
to disappear like a javelin.

Total

Site Supporter
Ha ha:)

One of the lakes I fish is very shallow literally two feet a couple of rod lengths out, plenty of carp to double figures and there is no
warning they just take off towards the middle of the lake at a rate of knots. The clutch has to be set light unless you want your rod
to disappear like a javelin.
Just like your old "Kirbyyyyyy" days!:);)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Defo get a pin - I picked up a second hand TF Gear for about £20-£30 and it’s a joy to use both on the river and carping off the surface on the lake

With an open spool reel I will generally strip line off the clutch as I’ve suffered birds nests when backwinding especially if there is a little breeze.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
The important thing is to have the clutch light enough to give line on the strike when fishing under the rod tip. Too tight and the intial run of a decent fish may pull the hook whilst you try to adjust the clutch. Once the fish has made its initial run adjust the clutch too suit and finger your spool🖕

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Float fishing close in I use a bait runner in freespool mode, and would let a small fish take some line before engaging it, or a bigger fish run further.

grey

Site Supporter
Baitrunner set stiff on the freespool and not over tight on the clutch. You're only need to rely on the reel's mechanics to keep the line tight until you gain the control.

Robwooly

I can't believe anyone has entertained either A) or B) Flicking the bail arm loose while a fish is on, or pulling line from the clutch? Are we serious here?

Even a 4oz roach will spin the reel enough to allow enough line to swing/net, the fish will do the backwinding for you.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can't believe anyone has entertained either A) or B) Flicking the bail arm loose while a fish is on, or pulling line from the clutch? Are we serious here?

Even a 4oz roach will spin the reel enough to allow enough line to swing/net, the fish will do the backwinding for you.
Are you saying you backwind then? Or set the clutch so light that a small fish will take line? Not clear from your reply.

buygoodtackle

Am I missing something here? Why not have the length of line out sufficient to swing the fish in but fish off to one side rather than straight in front of you. As long as you keep the line tight to the float there is no problem.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Am I missing something here? Why not have the length of line out sufficient to swing the fish in but fish off to one side rather than straight in front of you. As long as you keep the line tight to the float there is no problem.
The reason I don't do that, not saying I'm doing it right, but is the angle of the strike. You'd be pulling the float sideways doing that.

satinet

Site Supporter
My answer I was thinking about carp stripping line off.

If it's just silvers I would tend to either fish with a longer 'lash' or just let some line out by feathering the natural back wind as you lift the rod tip.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't backwind but it might be easier if I did. You can open the bail arm with smaller fish if you feather the line, it's not that outrageous to do it, but with slightly larger fish that still don't naturally strip a clutch like small Crucians, that's when I pull line from the clutch. Doesn't feel 100% right hence the thread.

satinet

Site Supporter
I don't backwind but it might be easier if I did. You can open the bail arm with smaller fish if you feather the line, it's not that outrageous to do it, but with slightly larger fish that still don't naturally strip a clutch like small Crucians, that's when I pull line from the clutch. Doesn't feel 100% right hence the thread.
You don't have to back wind really just allow it happen like when you have the bail arm off.

I never back wound but honestly it's not very hard to learn and a useful skill in some circumstances. Not least when you got a fish too close to net in any situation.

buygoodtackle

The reason I don't do that, not saying I'm doing it right, but is the angle of the strike. You'd be pulling the float sideways doing that.
So point the rod diagonally direct at the float if that concerns you. For the short distance you are fishing a plain lift will set the hook even if you have a 90 degree angle between rod tip and float. Or use a pointed stick float fished top and bottom for a more direct strike.

Robwooly

Ok the reason for my response and bear with as I have had a beer and watched a football game, (who knew) jolly good it was too anyway I digress so hope this helps....

Zerk..Yes backwind like the centrepin guys do but you don't need a pin to do this. If you fish with a foot of line out (which is great for crucians) you hook a fish and just let the reel turn, doesn't have to be straight away but allow the reel to turn when the fish lunges, you won't actually have to backwind as the fish will turn it, If you like having the anti reverse on then just switch it over as soon as a fish is on, even the small fish will backwind the reel back and before you know it there's enough line out to swing to hand or to net, you shouldn't get a tangle either as the weight of the fish keeps the line tight. You may have to move you rod whilst doing this but basically play it into open water whilst the reel is paying out (backwinding) Letting the rod do the work. It's great fun with larger fish too under the rod tip and most cru's will pull a bit and easily take line. It's hard to explain but I hope I have.

I'd try practicing this with any fish, I feel having a clutch set loose is a no no as it should be set with the optimum drag on for big fish set to whatever line you are using so you are on the front foot with carp. Also the pulling line by hand from the clutch sounds weird, you wont see any match guys doing this, at least I don't think so, it's not ideal for speed and I wouldn't like to do this with light line that's for sure

The bail arm over is a complete no no as fish will be lost

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Backwinding (allowing the weight of the fish to turn the reel) does make a lot of sense... for some reason though... I never do it... I'll have to try it. It's basically 90% Roach and Perch, 10% Crucians and 1% Carp at the moment so I have to try to fish a way to catch both.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would have thought you'd have to fish very tight to the tip in very shallow water to need to give line to be able to swing or net often enough to worry about it. Even bottom of the near shelf on my local canal still gives you just about enough line. When it doesn't I just pull a bit of line off the clutch, it's literally no bother. It's not just a close range fishing thing either sometimes I'll just misjudge a fish's size so overwind thinking I can swing it then have to net it. Never given it any thought really just pull a bit of line off unless it's a fish I've already backwound on then I'll just let it take some line. I'd certainly never open the bail.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think opening the bail arm is quicker for small fish, of course feathering the line to maintain tension.

I'd never open the bail arm for a bigger fish, that's where pulling line comes in for me.

But it would be easier to just let the reel backwind.

This is more technical than I thought. :LOL: