Waggler close in

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Say you're fishing a waggler off the tip of the rod. You have only a couple of foot of line to the float.

You hook a fish and need to give it line to either swing it in or net it.

Do you -

a) open the bail arm to let out line
b) pull line off the clutch
c) backwind

I don't backwind so usually do A when it's a small fish or B when it's a slightly bigger fish.

woodbutcher

Say you're fishing a waggler off the tip of the rod. You have only a couple of foot of line to the float.

Do you -

c) backwind

I don't backwind so usually do A when it's a small fish or B when it's a slightly bigger fish.
So if u know why ask😂😂

Total

Site Supporter

Do you -

c) backwind

You need to go fishing....;)(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to Hurst Farm on Thursday with my dad again if I'm lucky. :LOL:

I should have added option d) none on the above - please explain as a light clutch makes sense.

Just wondering what people do as I think it's a limitation of fishing the waggler off the tip of the rod.

alsur

Site Supporter
Now I would pull line off the clutch, it makes to set clutch light if not fishing near snags as you won't be caught by surprise. In passed I would have just backwound as in passed I never used clutch.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Or choice E) I'd use my pole for close in;). But if I was using a waggler it would depend on my target fish. If silvers are the target I'd have 3lb Maxima on the spool so the clutch would be set light, so I would just pull some line off to swing in a tiddler to hand, however if fishing for lumps I'd have 6lb maxima on the spool and flicking off the anti-reverse and backwinding may be the easier option.

scuttster

Site Supporter
most likely would be option b for me.

(on a side note its a pity, that providing it was on topic, a poll couldn't be added into a post rather than having to post in the polling booth where I would guess it wouldn't get seen by most)

John Step

Site Supporter
If no pole just use a shorter rod if its shallow. What I do recommend however is to use a very enjoyable method for under the rod top when expecting lumps on a pleasure session.

Use a centre pin and a pole float. No worries about light clutch. Use your thumb.
Long rod/deep water. Shorter rod/shallower water.

Dropon

If you’re catching off the rod end then surely a top and bottom float would be better. Just my opinion.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It is for Crucians (Roach, Perch, Goldfish and the odd big Carp too) so a pole float might be a good idea. I prefer to cast when I'm fishing the waggler so I don't have this problem but the lakes are 20' deep with 4' margins, all the fish are down the edge anyway. I could use a pole but prefer rod and line these days, and think it feels better to catch a Crucian on rod and line.

Nicky Dodds

Exactly as @John Step says. Only other option is if you have a really loose running fixed spool reel and you let the fish backwind using its own weight. Even then you'd need a finger brake shadowing the rotor to avoid over run. Get a cheap center pin, doesn't even need to be a good one.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I often fish the margins with a waggler, had some decent carp that way and I’ve always been confident with back winding. I can choose exactly how much line I give and use my finger to stop it when I’m ready to. Admittedly I’ve only caught carp up to 14lb this way, so I can’t vouch for anything bigger.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Exactly as @John Step says. Only other option is if you have a really loose running fixed spool reel and you let the fish backwind using its own weight. Even then you'd need a finger brake shadowing the rotor to avoid over run. Get a cheap center pin, doesn't even need to be a good one.
Centerpin sounds like a good long term option for me, I'm banned from buying new tackle until I've cleared my overdrafts at the moment. :LOL:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Waggler close in, very pleasant way to spend a few hours.

I always have the clutch set to give line easily, forefinger on the spool is the best clutch of all.

Backwinding is for banjo playing rednecks.

Why do you think the clutch is there in the first place?