Wafters

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Think of try wafters banded.
I can get Sonubaits Band'um Krill and Squid locally. Anyone use them? Any thoughts?.
Quarry are bream and carp.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have certainly caught a fair few carp with Wafters/buoyant BandUms on a pellet feeder, though apparently I fish them wrong. I allow the bait to rise the length of the hooklength above the feeder. Apparently you should use a sufficiently heavy hook or shot on the hooklength to keep the bait on the deck but able to "waft" around.

I have probably caught the odd bream/skimmer though and there are some lakes where they & mini boilies are the go-to bait for bream.

I don't use a band though. I use an ordinary hair loop pulled through the bait with a very fine baiting needle, the orange handled Drennan.

Baiting Needle.JPG

The knot in the loop grips inside the bait sufficiently with the added bonus that it won't break the hair if it gets caught in the mesh of the landing net.

If you can't get the Drennan then all it is is a very fine crochet hook with a plastic handle added.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Most of the small wafters are balanced by the weight of a size 10 or 12 hook which is the point of using them rather than pop ups which would most likely require a small shot on the hair to hold them down.
You can check in the margins or in a bucket if the margins are too deep to see the bottom, that the bait hovers just off the bottom so if a fish swims over it moves like the rest of the feed items rather than be nailed to the bottom hence the name wafter.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I've tried Steve ringers orange wafters and don't reckon much to them, catch more on banded pellet even in coloured water.

I do keep an assortment of fluoro band um type things but not had to use them yet, save them for a hard day.

johng19

me@home.com
I tend to use ringers bandums, yellow seems to work best for me. Only use them on the method so if it pops up abit I dont mind. I use 16 sometimes 14 lwg banded, depending on the average carp I'm catching, also have caught a few nice breem with them

sjmclean

I have certainly caught a fair few carp with Wafters/buoyant BandUms on a pellet feeder, though apparently I fish them wrong. I allow the bait to rise the length of the hooklength above the feeder. Apparently you should use a sufficiently heavy hook or shot on the hooklength to keep the bait on the deck but able to "waft" around.

I have probably caught the odd bream/skimmer though and there are some lakes where they & mini boilies are the go-to bait for bream.

I don't use a band though. I use an ordinary hair loop pulled through the bait with a very fine baiting needle, the orange handled Drennan.

Baiting Needle.JPG

The knot in the loop grips inside the bait sufficiently with the added bonus that it won't break the hair if it gets caught in the mesh of the landing net.

If you can't get the Drennan then all it is is a very fine crochet hook with a plastic handle added.

You're just fishing them like a conventional pop up, which for all intents and purposes these are, they've just been developed to fish a much better was over a method feeder, the theory is to counter act the weight of the hook.

dubdog

Been using the Sonu bait wafters for a few years now with good results. All down to colour for me with brown and white my favorites. The flavor is just a nonsense.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I am extremely cynical about gimmick baits which catch more anglers than fish.
But I have taken a fair few fish on Ringers Wafters, fished with a no. 6 shot about 3" from the banded wafter pellet, when nothing else works.
It happened too often for it just to be down to chance.
:)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you don't want to put shot on the hooklink you can always buy some rig putty and either put it on the hooklink or a little round the spade/eye of the hook to balance it out

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
That would depend on how long you left it soaking and the type of goo as they are different thickness smoke or supreme

rudd

Site Supporter
If you don't want to put shot on the hooklink you can always buy some rig putty and either put it on the hooklink or a little round the spade/eye of the hook to balance it out
This is how to fish a wafter and the putty does two things:
1. Balances the wafter allowing a smaller hook so it has a neutral bouancy there fore mimicking free baits.
2. As a fish spits out the wafter the weight of the putty causes the hook to drop and catch in fishes mouth.
Being a neutral weight a fish can spit out a wafter much easier and quicker than a standard boilie.

The vast majority of boilie bottom bait or wafter rigs used by specimen carp/tench/bream now incorporate rig puttey near eye of hook to cause hook to drop.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
errr you could trim the hookbiat till it is critically balanced if needed rather than messing around with putty, can also make your own simply enough with base and pop up mixed up so get them exactly how you want, i do that with a little 8mm rolling table or 15mm for my speci fishing or just chopped for dumbbells.

A critical balanced for me is the hook laying flat, anything above that is wafting including having a bait which doesnt quite touch teh bottom which ive used in very silty lakes and have to laugh NOTN, your fishing it wrong but still catching................to me that means your doing it right but each to their own, same as people saying your fishing the peg wrong when your emptying it or using a differnt method to others lol

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I can remember the Preston / Sonu 'Skinz' - I used them a lot years ago with really good results. Not seen any for years - Are they still made? ]

They were a funny mix of pellet with a rubberized 'Skin' that you could hook easily and were quite tough ....great with method / cage feeder