Wafters Sinking?!

bris

Site Supporter
I’m trying to get better with my method fishing and using wafters as they can often win local matches.
Thought I would test in a tall vase of water, which size QM1 hook would be best for each size of wafter, but I have found that except for one combination, the wafter sinks to the bottom every time and doesn’t waft/pop up!

Have tried the following combinations (all are with a 20g Preston ICS method, to a 4 inch hooklength bandinga Sonubaits Band Un wafter)

QM1 16 banded to 0.17mm
6mm wafter sinks
8mm wafter pops up

QM1 14 banded to 0.19mm
6mm wafter sinks
8mm wafter sinks

QM1 12 banded to 0.22mm
6mm wafter sinks
8mm wafter sinks

Am I missing something? I know a larger hook can sink a smaller wafter (I.e. a size 12 would probably sink a 6mm) but the 8mm wafter has only popped up on a 16 QM1 and the 6mm wafter doesn’t pop up at all! I was expecting the 6mm to pop up on the 16 and the 8mm to pop up on the 12 and 14!

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Have you put your none floating/wafting wafters in on there own ie not on a band to see if they float, you may have a bad batch.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
How long are your hairs the wafter will only waft up to length of the hair the hook should prevent it being a pop up.

bris

Site Supporter
A wafter is designed to be neutral buoyancy, with the hook in it, to be easily sucked in by a fish , not to pop bolt upright 💁‍♂️
Ok thanks understood. I was under the impression that they were supposed to pop up. I think I’m confused because Sonubaits do Band Um wafters and sinkers, so assumed the wafters popped up and the sinkers sank!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Ok thanks understood. I was under the impression that they were supposed to pop up. I think I’m confused because Sonubaits do Band Um wafters and sinkers, so assumed the wafters popped up and the sinkers sank!
Personally,and I’m not the best feeder angler by a long shot, but I want the wafter to just sit, and waft on the bait pile, I don’t think it looks natural sitting 4 inches above, although I have caught like that in the winter , wafters are so light, that fish can easily suck them up

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I don't really do wafters I prefer a sinking bait, I try them from time to time, but don't have a lot of success with them.

bris

Site Supporter
Personally,and I’m not the best feeder angler by a long shot, but I want the wafter to just sit, and waft on the bait pile, I don’t think it looks natural sitting 4 inches above, although I have caught like that in the winter , wafters are so light, that fish can easily suck them up
Yes makes complete sense, thank you. I’ll stick with pop ups for the lead in winter!
So I think I am right in my original thinking that:
QM1 16 - 6mm
QM1 12/14 - 8mm

bris

Site Supporter
I don't really do wafters I prefer a sinking bait, I try them from time to time, but don't have a lot of success with them.
I have had a few good catches on them but last year I really struggled using them. I was under the impression they should pop up above the pile, but what Chefster has explained makes sense in that they should just waft on the method bait pile 👍

Team KDB

Yes makes complete sense, thank you. I’ll stick with pop ups for the lead in winter!
So I think I am right in my original thinking that:
QM1 16 - 6mm
QM1 12/14 - 8mm
My choice would be for fish upto 10lb;
QM1 16 - 8mm
QM1 18 - 6mm
over 10lb step up a size. 👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m fishing QM1 size 14 with 8mm bandum wafters and catching anything from 2lb to 14lb to date

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
how old are your wafters

if you have been using them and leaving the lid off in inclement weather, they will absorb some damp and loose some of the bouyancy

templegater

Site Supporter
So if the hook sinks the wafter would they work on a pole rig fished overdepth. Anyone tried.?