VW Caddy Maxi - 1.6 - rogue engine?

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
I bought one of these ex-Gas Board (2011 reg.) Caddy Maxi vans 5 years ago to use as a general workhorse/fishing wagon, and as much as I love the van, it keeps destroying fuel injectors.
It burned out two injectors during the first year I had it, causing massive angling inconvenience and entailing 12-hour cross-country breakdown recoveries.
After a lot of verbals the main VW dealers in Norwich replaced all four injectors as a goodwill gesture, trying to improve "customer relations" after they got their wrists slapped over the exhaust emissions foul-up.
Since then I've had to replace two more injectors and at £450 a pop it's getting beyond a joke. It's the uncertainty of it: will it break down on another long trip or will it keep going for ever?
I've since heard various rumours that the early 1.6 diesel engine is prone to this problem so what would you do? Stick or twist? Should I sell it whilst it's still a runner or keep my fingers crossed it will be ok?
If I do decide to part company with it, what would be a reliable replacement?

bluemack

Site Supporter
I think i,d get rid of it mate,would,nt know what to replace it with though...........not into cars.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I'd get rid of it only on the grounds of uncertainty every time you go out in it,even if it goes into 'limp mode' to get you home.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Had the same with mine, i average one every 14/16 month on low mileage. Im reliablly informed by a mechanic that if you get one of the coding machines which plug into the vehicle - you can override the limp mode to get you home.

All VWs faults!

We have a 68 Golf GTD on the drive with 5 faults currently - cornering light, service light (not long been in), tyre pressure (check every day), Automatic sign detection fault, cruise control fault. We also have a Tiguan which seems to fare better.

Still struggle to go away from the brand though, they all have issues.

John Step

Site Supporter
Not just VW. I had the same with a 1600 Ford C Max at only 20,000 miles from new. Got rid as I lost faith in it. Apparently its a common problem.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just had 4 injectors in my 2017 Passat 1.6 estate, luckily it was under warranty from where I got it, also had a new headlamp, again, under warranty. Nice car,but most unreliable car I've had.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would get rid of it while it is running well as you will never really trust it and will always be waiting for it to breakdown again. Unless you do high mileage I would seriously consider replacing it with something that has a petrol engine under the bonnet as a modern petrol engine is very economical given the price of petrol and the cost of servicing compared to diesel.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Strange, Ive owned VW T4's for over 18 years and have only changed the injectors (bosch) once on the first T4 Ive owned and that was after 90,000 miles

though both the vans Ive owned have been the 1,9 TD engine, which has no electronic brain and is cheap to repair and maintain,

glow plugs have probably been the most often required engine spares if anything

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Thank you everyone for all the observations and advice, I guess it's time to start looking for new wheels....... (y)

Tristar

Site Supporter
Back in 2011 I had a brand new Seat Ibiza estate "sportrider" 1.6TD. I believe it was a VW engine, please say if I'm wrong. Firm riding but a bonny car, it was just like my ex, great looks and and shape but totally untrustworthy....it had to go.

It would behave for miles then go into "limp mode" (I get that after 5 pints, but moving along). The thing was always going into the dealer with injector this, coil that, EGR here, sensor this , sensor that but the problem was injectors. In the end I scrapped it at 4yrs old after it nearly causing a pile up on the M1 where the southbound M6 joins the M1 there's an uphill incline, I was on a long run from the North to Gatwick with no issues so far, I was driving at a steady 55mph, I accelerated to 70mph to overtake two lines of HGV's and the thing went again into limp mode at a max of 50mph in heavy traffic on an incline. No power again with no warning, I'm not one to be alarmed in an emergency but this was scary. No power in the third lane out of four and an HGV (where are they now) trying to get in my boot. One even offered me a coffee I think as he was shaking his hand at me with his Nescafe beans.

That was the last incident it had to go, my children could have been in that car. I didn't sell it on for the same reason as I couldn't trust it with another owner.

The car broke down three months after driving it away from the dealer with injector faults, it was red, scary and wanted to kill people so it got the name "Christine" (another one for our older film fans)

Sorry for the waffle but the point I'm making is once you start asking questions about it, start to wonder "what if" then the trust is gone and time to part company also you may be throwing good money after old. After the experience with the Seat I went back to old Honda's.

I just think that once the trust is gone and memories of it letting you down are in your head then time to look for something else mate. After all it then becomes a mental distraction.

PJG

Get rid of it! Get yourself a petrol Nissan - yes they are really boring but they just keep going on, going on, going on, going on, etc!