Vlogging kit

adriang

Site Supporter
I'm watching this thread with interest, I've been vlogging a bit, but only been filming at home while working on rods and reels. I've been researching quite a bit into kit, and from what I can gather, the GoPros are good if you want to do the 'put it on your chest or head and film the action', but can start to get dodgy with sound if conditions are not great.

I started by using a cheap GoPro knock off, and was OK, but the sound was terrible, I've been researching into other options, right now I'm leaning towards just using a smart phone, probably wait for the next gen iPhone, I'm due for an upgrade, and use that.

CNSam

Site Supporter
Keep it simple to begin with if your thinking about filming - it's not easy when it comes to the edits and takes up a lot of time - been there, done that, albeit on a different subject matter (coding).

In terms of being put off because you know cameras are there, it might be worth for the first couple of videos to take a mate down onto the peg with you and talk to him about whats going on, it adds a human element to the interaction then. Moving on from that you could then (as daft as it sounds) use a rubber duck to talk to or some other inanimate object (known as rubber ducking in the software development world - Rubber duck debugging - Wikipedia), it gives you a subject to speak to or think about who your going to speak to.

In terms of mic's it might be worth investing in an external with wind filters etc although it depends if you were wanting to add audio as you record or add it after.

In terms of getting stands etc, why not just go with a decent tripod for now, grab one off amazon for £10-15 and see how you get on - vlogging aint for everyone!

---
Rather than hitting the bank straight away, think about your audience a little bit, what benefit do you offer to people who are watching your videos - are you talking about the methods you are using, the location, the tackle or just a mix of everything or is it just more of a catalogue/diary of your fishing adventures and if people watch it then it's a bonus?

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
Other than a positive attitude what do you need to vlog?

I have seen you can get bankstick attachments for your phone but does the mic pick up your voice ok? Also seen some people using head cameras, is that a Go Pro? Can also see my batteries running out on both.

Editing software - I had some before for an old iMac and did a little playing around with it. Seemed intuitive. But what's the best and what's the cost?

Thoughts welcome.
A personality.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I have an external sound recorder with a windshield and tripod from field recording I used to do so could use that. Just need to get a camera now and see how it goes without one. I know my limitations and only ever intend to do 'amateur' style videos for a bit of fun. The worst that could happen is I get bad feedback. Have seen some 'questionable' comments on some youtube channels.

Some of the new GoPro’s have the ability to keep horizon level - handy when you have a head mount or chest mount for camera. The free iMovie editing software is good if you are a mac user.

@Zerkalo I don’t vlog, just make some videos of fishing for me and the family not widely shared on the internet. What I have seen on YouTube is a lot of cases where people are very negative and critical of YouTubers efforts. Often I have no idea why someone has clicked dislike a video. You’ll need broad shoulders or turn comments off. Go for it Mate if that’s what you want to do - don’t give e **** about the negative keyboard warriors.