VLC Help Please

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
So as not to take the "No CD In Car" thread off topic.

I have VLC loaded onto my Android tablet. I use this through the Aux socket to play music in the car but I can only play one album at a time then when that ends I have to either pull over to change to another album, turn on the radio, or god forbid, the old fashioned CD. Taking the tablet means I have most of my music collection available without the bulk of taking loads of CDs.

I cannot find a way to randomly play the entire collection. I can do it for one album using the random icon (two crossed arrows). I have searched online but cannot follow the instructions - how do I "Go to Media"?

Anyone got any simple instructions for an old geezer to follow?

Or is there another app that is better than VLC to do what I want?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I bought one of these

click here

It's got hundeds of singles and a stack of albums on it as well but it's still no where near full, i just plug it into my stereo and let it play.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
From what little I remember of using it very briefly, VLC Player is a rather basic media player. MediaMonkey is a fair bit more sophisticated and can be used on multiple platforms. I'm using the free version on both Windows PC and a couple of Android devices.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Sam Vimes

From what little I remember of using it very briefly, VLC Player is a rather basic media player. MediaMonkey is a fair bit more sophisticated and can be used on multiple platforms. I'm using the free version on both Windows PC and a couple of Android devices.

Found this in a review, enough for me to say no thanks.

"There is a gold version that unlocks more goodies, a fact you'll know with any usage of the player because it will constantly remind you that you can get it by paying or by completing special deals."

VLC works fine for me with both audio and video but finding out how to randomise the entire music collection would be nice but no reason for me to change it if I can't.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Originally posted by Sam Vimes

Found this in a review, enough for me to say no thanks.

"There is a gold version that unlocks more goodies, a fact you'll know with any usage of the player because it will constantly remind you that you can get it by paying or by completing special deals."

VLC works fine for me with both audio and video but finding out how to randomise the entire music collection would be nice but no reason for me to change it if I can't.

There's one minor detail with that review, it's bullshine. On a Windows device, there are no buy me reminders at all. On an Android device, you get them occasionally. There are no constant reminders. Such things bug me too, but it's a small price to pay for what is a very good bit of free software. Why not give it a try for yourself? You can always uninstall it if the constant reminders prove too much for you. VLC is what it is, a very basic media player. I have used it and binned it because it was just too basic to be really useful.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Trogg, how does that plug into my car and how do I get it to play music?

I just plug it into the USB port and select usb and it starts playing automatically, if you haven't got a usb port then you can buy one of these

Click Here

T.I

Try the Amazon Music app, similar to VLC but you can shuffle album/playlist/songs etc.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
if they are in different folders have you created a playlist or are you just playing the contents of am album folder?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Its OK folks, Just having a play and somehow got it to do what I want.

Gone from the Itchy and Scratchy theme (Simpsons) to Growltiger's Last Stand (Cats) then on to Pink's "Get The Party Started" and then Ole Man River (Showboat).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A good music player for Android I found is 'Pi Music Player'

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it is it hasn't fallen to bits yet [:D] lol

<Joke by the ways [;)]>