VIRUS HOAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

Unfortunetly one of our members has been hoaxed on a virus.

If you recieve a mail telling you to find & delete jdbgmgr.exe do not delete it.

I would suggest all members add the following link to thier favs folder.

http://www.symantec.com/

If you go to this site enter the name of the "virus" into the virus search box & it will tell you whether or not its a real virus or whether its a hoax.

If it is a real virus it will also tell you all about it as in what it does etc, most the time it also gives you the fix for it.

Luckly my AV prog gives all the flashing lights & ringing bells etc if it detects a virus which it hasn't done for weeks which is another reason i checked out the "virus" i've been mailed about.

<edit>
I would also suggest any of you who haven't got an AV prog go to the following site & do an "on-line" virus search, this is one of the best AV's going as its updated every day.
click here
You don't have to register just click on the "scan without registering" button.
Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin
Datafile.gif

Last edited:

norm

trogg did it ring the bells etc
to let you know your loverly wife was going to get a virus

(LOL)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
what was i going to say??......erm...oh what was it....erm , ah yes thats it ha ha ha (yawn) [;)]

Alan

norm

got ya there mate
was that you lost for words -----------lol

(i dowt it )

CourseCraig

guys [and girls?]

try this http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ - you have to been online for the scan to work, this can be a bit of an inconvenience but it's worth doing every now and then - or buy some antivirus software from the likes of PC World...not my favorite place in the world...but most ppl have one near by - or buy online if you don't mind...

and for further virus info try http://www.nai.com - a site i use almost on a daily basis

btw i'm a tech head in case you wondered where all the nerdy info came from :p

laters

Lid

Hi Craig (and Trogg)

I just tried housecall. The first couple of attempts it wouldn't scan after selecting my computer. The next attrempt it said re-boot my PC to get rid of the Trojan. It then started to scan and crashed my Internet Explorer (version 6) running on windows 98.

I'll give it anuther go.

Ah ha. It seems that even though I am using a 1MB cable modem there is a delay of a couple of mins before the scanning actually starts. It's now scanning as I type. Wish it good luck!

Leighton

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Craig

The second link i put up (the click here one) takes you direct to the house call page [:)]

Lieghton

Glad its been of some use mate, i'm on a high compression dial up modem & it runs slow on that so don't worry about it mate .

I visit the housecall site once a week & it still has to DL a whole load of files just to update the program already on my pc.

If any of you want a really good but free AV program which is updatable click here

Alan

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another thing you could do is keep an eye on the computer mags, then when one of them gives away a free trial or shareware AV prog, give me a shout & i'll give you some advice on how to.... well lets just say "activate" the whole program for free without paying a penny (which should be fine for tight a*s tykes) [;)]

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try this page for virus information [;)]

www.maggotdrowning.com/virus_information.htm

JDBGMGR is the number one hoax at the moment

Dave

Larry

Lazarus
I GOT MINE FREE ( Note tight arsed yorkshire men)When i signed to Halifax _online for my banking it's Trend Anti Virus &is good stopped everything so far stopped 600 in one in 24 hr period when some hacker was trying to break into my computer because i have my own web site didnt know anything about till i checked my Quarantine folder found over 600 virus's in there.

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
I think that was over Daves head Norm LOL

Stu
L.U.F.C.

mookie

mookie
[:(][:(][:(]

Hi all.... It was me that was sent the email containing the duff virus...so l must publicly apologise to those who got the damn thing through my address book....

Hope alls well and may a wish all a very happy and virus free new year.........

Cheers.....MOOK....

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problems Mookie, you'd be suprised how many people get caught out with it and some of the hoaxes can cause more problems that viruses themselves.

This one works off the back of the bugbear virus which is a major virus. Because the file icon for jdbgmgr.exe is a bear then it somehow looks a threat.

Dave

G

Mookie no problem mate, all well's here mate,, [:D][:D][:D],

If it had been a virus, we would have had you to thank for the warning mate, as far as i'm concerned mate,[:D][:D][:D] you were doing the right thing,

catch me if u can
Andy,

Status
Not open for further replies.