Virgin Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbfzoo

Virgin Media as opposed to BT whole package Tel/Broadband/TV anybody got Virgin Media whats it like? I need to buy my mother a Dig TV so thinking of putting in media package. tel/tv/bband as well. Got BT bband and phone at the moment.

John

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I have been on NTL/Virgin for donkeys years

Personally found them to be OK, not great, but not as bad as the old NTL reputation would suggest

I have been making a few calls to Virgin, to try and decide whether to leave them and move to Sky. May do this for just TV (and retain phone and BB), or all three services depending on the answers/deals I get.

On the face of it, moving to Sky is a no-brainer, I can save quite a bit of money for an equivalent (ish) package to my current one, or get more (HD) for the same sort of money I'm paying now.

Though my calls are coming up with some interesting info that will save me money with Virgin. Watch this space.

If you are thinking of HD, Virgin have hardly anything at the moment (apart from BBC HD).

I think on the basic non-HD service, Sky seem to have the better reputation, and arguably better channel selection.

Their HD box/service doesn't seem to be particularily well though of by it's owners though, and the V+ virgin box/service has mixed reviews from customers.

So, it sort of depends on what your mother is looking for and whether she has an HD TV.

Bat lady

We are with Virgin Media and in a word they are rubbish at least once a month either my broadbnd, my phone or tv is cut off dispite paying my bill the brod band is alays crashing nd the tv just turns itself over without touching the remote my advice don't bother

Triturus

My Virgin box went down on Wednesday teatime, a lady in Bombay arranged for engineer to come next Thursday afternoon!

jduck1979

John D
I'd suggest going for SKY......... as you can see what others have said, the Virgin boxes sound like their a bit fragile in the durability department.
Meanwhile, in our house we've had the same Sky box since it was first installed around September / October 1999 (my Grandma's had one a year or two longer still), and only ever had to replace the original remote control last year. When we have had problems with the box, all that's needed to fix it is to turn it off at the mains, remove the card, wait a couple of seconds, re-insert card, fire it back up again..... and hey presto, good as new.

Also, you may have noticed in the news the past couple of months that Sky + Virgin Media have been having a few Corporate "handbag fights", and certain channels have gone missing from Virgin as a result.

Last edited:

stikflote

Site Supporter
we have had ntl now virgin TV AN PHONE at least 10years and B,B about five years with no problems at all

missabite

I have had virgin broadband (was telewest) now for a couple of years and i have to say it has been faultless. Now is a good time to barter over price. I rang Virgin to cancel my broadband and as soon as i mentioned the word Sky i was offered a very good deal.

I'm on my umpteenth Sky+ box so i'm not sure if they are any more reliable than Virgin+. My mate has a V+ box and it has been fine.

Last edited:

EvilD

was with ntl service ok but their customer services sucked always billed wrong and had wrong amount deducted form account left them now with bt its ok customer services are ok billing is good jsut the speeds arnt liek cable :D

Larry

Lazarus
I've had telewest now virgin media over 10 years got the everything package can't fault them although like all things technical had occasional fault's which have been fixed almost straight away . We'vegot a slight problem with what i thought was the box picture freezes occasionaly .Also picture go'es into small squares .Got on phone to them last week engineer came out within 2 day's said line needs upgrading because we have 2 extra boxes &internet of the thats 4 connection's making signal strength too low .So he's arranged for a another cable line to be put in from street box .So we will be having 2 cable lines 1 cable 1 tv& .1tvinternet on other
from next friday June 29th . That's service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.