VINTAGE?!?!?

RichB

Around 1990 I suppose, I bought a Shakespeare 12ft Omni something or other. It was 3 piece, glass, with a screw tip for a quiver tip or swing tip. I think it cost me about £17 and was to replace my old rod whose top section was now lying in a reservoir.
Apparently, these rods are not vintage. On eBay, on several occasions, I've seen these rods come up for sale, and every time they've been described as vintage.

I think that's stretching the word somewhat. Surely vintage would best to describe something considerably older????

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Isnt there a formula for identifying classic/vintage/antique....?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've never seen any definition of the word vintage that put any particular age on something. A wine from only a year or two back might be considered to be a vintage depending on the type. However, despite this very vague definition, it does seem to be applied rather liberally by ebay sellers in the hope that its use will push the price up. Lets face it, which sounds better "vintage" or just plain "old"?

It's just the new "antique", as the use of that word has diminished as people have attempted to put a 50/100 year definition on it.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Anything Omni from Shakespeare would be budget starter stuff and although old (vintage) would be 1970s onwards but certainly not sought after by collectors.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Should be at least 100 yrs old for antique and at least 20 yrs old to be called vintage.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a list of the rods, reels seat boxes that I use regularly

Poles,
Daiwa spectron competition, Daiwa 510 conni, Daiwa tournament X,

Rods,

Normark avenger 14ft stick rod
Normark NCQT, tip rod
tricast 13ft stick rod
Tricast 4x4 feeder rod

Reels,

Shimano perfection match in 300 and 400 sizes
Shimano stradics in 300 and 400 sizes

Boss integral legged 8 drawer seatbox
Boss external legged 6 drawer canal box

all the above are at least 15 years old, some much older, does this make me a vintage angler, the reasons I use the above, is that even with the advances in tackle technology, I have yet to find anything at a reasonable price that outperforms them

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

Poles,

Rods,

Normark NCQT, tip rod
tricast 13ft stick rod
Tricast 4x4 feeder rod

Reels,

all the above are at least 15 years old, some much older, does this make me a vintage angler, the reasons I use the above, is that even with the advances in tackle technology, I have yet to find anything at a reasonable price that outperforms them
Ssshhhhh.....Keep it down..... you'll have the moneyed tackle tarts up in arms.... cos enee fule no that the more money you pay the better it is... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :cool: :cool: (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Ssshhhhh.....Keep it down..... you'll have the moneyed tackle tarts up in arms.... cos enee fule no that the more money you pay the better it is... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :cool: :cool: (y)

And of course me being Yorkshirese will ask one question...HOW MUCH???

rudd

Site Supporter

Poles,

Rods,

Normark NCQT, tip rod
tricast 13ft stick rod
Tricast 4x4 feeder rod

Reels,

If your age is 50+ then yes - you are antique.
40+ Vintage
30+ Beardo
20+ snowflake

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If your age is 50+ then yes - you are antique.
40+ Vintage
30+ Beardo
20+ snowflake

You missed one out..

15 - 20 Wierdo

OI YOU...I've just realised, I'm 66. Does that make me Ancient? :unsure: :eek:

RichB

In the electric stringed instrument market, I think vintage would have to be pre-1970 at least. If I were to advertise the very first bass I bought in 1991, it certainly wouldn't be described as vintage. Garbage, firewood, naff 90's tatt maybe.

I like my old Omni rod, I used it a lot (I had no other rod). However, it's not that good really and certainly not vintage.