Vintage tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyts

I had these floas and a small tin full of fishing tackle given to me by a friend of a friends dad,the floats are in this beutiful leather wallet and the floats names include shakespeare,most are made from cork and balsa but some are peacock quills,im no bothered about the price just the age of these items,extra info if needed,any help is appreciated
[:)]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Post us a photo up Matty - it'll give us a better idea.
Shakespeare produced a wide range of floats in the late 70s / early 80s.

Simon

mattyts

IMGP2399.png

Originally posted by Simon R

Post us a photo up Matty - it'll give us a better idea.
Shakespeare produced a wide range of floats in the late 70s / early 80s.

Simon

canal grey

They look like the 70's to me.
I used to use floats like that then but I thought they were rubbish.
Looking back though, they are lovely little things I wish I still had just so that I could look at them.
Oh happy boyhood days, watching them bob up and down with Perch underneath muching on my worms.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
The straight,non bodied ones look like crow quills to me,the kind of float my brother used to set me up with on the Keadby drains to catch his livebait for him in the early 60's

Team Man

The straight non bodied ones are not Crow Quills, they are Porcupine Quills, I fish with them almost all the time, they're great, Crow Quills are much plainer.

jacko the wacko

The flutted one looks like a belglow i have a few like that.
They come up on flea bay and go for a few quid .Vintage floats are becoming quite colective and some go for good money .

Simon R

Site Supporter
The bonny coloured ones are the same as the ones in the 1978 & 1979 Shakespeare catalogue - by 1980 they'd been dropped though so you can say with some degree of certainty that they're at least 30 years old[:D]

Is that green float with the yellow top near the top of the wallet a Shakespeare? It's a fluted avon and I had one that looked identical from Woolies many years ago - might have 'Winfield' marked on the side if it is from there.

Simon

Chavender

Steve
they range from the 50's too the eighties ,theres some harcourt floats and some quality bobbers ,the black bobbers are probably 70's/80's ,theres some real quality floats there ,in great condition ,if sold should fetch a good price .but still all very usefull floats .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
they are all floats for use on running water, rivers, streams etc

the bodied cork and cane are a mixture, perch bobbers (the onion shaped bodies (6 in the photo) then there is a Avon float, (yellow tipped slim long bodied cork) and an early waggler (bodied down cork and quill)
the above floats look like they are made by the "Harcork" company and fetch reasonable money on ebay

the fluted green bodied float was an adaption of the Avon type float, the flutes were meant for it to ride better and be more stable under holding back when trotting, again collectable

the black onion bodied flaot is a large shouldered Avon, used on slower rivers, the quills and other floats have no real value moneywise, but are nice when trotting the near bank for roach and dace

jacko the wacko

As mick said harcork floats can go for 3 to 5 quid each on ebay.
The ones in the picture dont look like harcork they usually have the name written on the stem ,they may be but look different to the ones i have in my colection nice floats though.

mattyts

no its not marked winfield,theres only a shakespeare one thats marked

The bonny coloured ones are the same as the ones in the 1978 & 1979 Shakespeare catalogue - by 1980 they'd been dropped though so you can say with some degree of certainty that they're at least 30 years old[:D]

Is that green float with the yellow top near the top of the wallet a Shakespeare? It's a fluted avon and I had one that looked identical from Woolies many years ago - might have 'Winfield' marked on the side if it is from there.

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
This is a page from the 1978 Shakespeare catalogue - showing numerous floats, some of which are very similar to those in your collection:
ShakeyCat1978119.jpg

Simon

mattyts

youre rught they do look very similiar

This is a page from the 1978 Shakespeare catalogue - showing numerous floats, some of which are very similar to those in your collection:
ShakeyCat1978119.jpg

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.