Viaduct

Joe C

Had a day yesterday on middle lake at viaduct fishing for roach.

On arrival had a good catch up with the owner, I think his names Steve but I’m not 100%? He filled me in on the fishery news, they’ve stopped matches on all lakes now aside from Campbell. Im not a match man but I’m guessing it will make some unhappy. As a fellow business owner I completely understand his reasoning though and will continue to support the fishery with my patronage as in my opinion it has the best silver fishing in the south west that I’ve ever experienced (in terms of commercial fisheries.) plus the people who run it are lovely, it has a really well equipped shop and I find it very peaceful.

After our catch up Steve (I think? 😂) said to me to head to peg 32 on middle as a lot of silvers shoal up in the bowl there. Usually this part of the lake is for holiday let’s only so it felt strange sitting there!

On advice I avoided groundbait and started feeding 2 waggler lines in open water, I also set up a maggot feeder rod.

Took all of 30 seconds for the first bite, a pristine little Redfin. A649215C-FF13-4FD1-97EC-6470625CFA5C.jpeg

Bites carried on coming, but I was struggling to hit them all, maybe 2 out of 5 resulted in a banked fish.

I stopped for lunch and then tried the other line I had been feeding. Things didn’t feel right on this line, the fish were there but I was getting lots of liners. I shallowed up a few inches and straight away the bites were easier to hit. I couldn’t get past small roach though and knew there was some big silvers in here.

I then had a look on the maggot feeder and instantly started catching skimmers and I think hybrids (my fish identification isn’t great.)

Typically with only half hour left I started catching a couple of bigger roach and suspect had I had more time may have caught my first 1lber.

All in all though I had a lovely days fishing and was happy tipping my net back at the end of the day. C038F161-573E-4EB6-A4BA-AE5D5A8E0B3A.jpeg

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Really was mate, just want that first 1lb roach 😞
I’m sure it’ll come mate 👍🏻

Coming into an iffy time for them as they’ll spawn at some point in April but come May they’ll be on the post spawn munch so reckon you’ll get one then 🤞🏻

Joe C

I’m sure it’ll come mate 👍🏻

Coming into an iffy time for them as they’ll spawn at some point in April but come May they’ll be on the post spawn munch so reckon you’ll get one then 🤞🏻
I think I saw somewhere you’re in Oxford mate, only an hour and a bit from me, have to get out one day and you can show me how it’s done 👍🏻

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think I saw somewhere you’re in Oxford mate, only an hour and a bit from me, have to get out one day and you can show me how it’s done 👍🏻
Yeah not too far so sounds a plan 👍🏻

Not really sure how it’s done for the pound plus ones though 😅 my approach to them is if you catch enough roach you get a pound one eventually 😂

Joe C

Yeah not too far so sounds a plan 👍🏻

Not really sure how it’s done for the pound plus ones though 😅 my approach to them is if you catch enough roach you get a pound one eventually 😂
I don’t catch enough at the minute so sounds like a plan 😂