Vets.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Bit of a rant. But I keep it short.
Daisy our puppy was in vets yesterday to be spayed.
All went ok and picked her up at 3pm.
In room with nurse explaining everything etc etc.
Need follow up appointment in 3 days then 10 days.
Obviously 3 days be Monday( not open)so expect Tuesday.
Go to reception to pay (£230). ( vet receptionist are up there With doctors receptionists in my eyes)
I need 2 follow up appointment 1 for 3 days. One for 10 days.
“ sorry we fully booked all next week”
Me 😳. “ but my dog just had operation and needs follow up appointment “
Her. “We maybe squeeze her in on Friday” (7days)
Me. “ that’s ridiculous”
Anyway ended up With appointment at another of the practice 4 surgery’s. A bit further away on Wednesday (5days)
Then back at original surgery on following Monday (10 days).
I was a bit gobsmack tbh.
Should I have asked to see manager or is this common practice. Or maybe a email to surgery.
Rant over.
Ps.
Another rant.
When we 1st got her and had her in for 1st visit at 8 weeks we booked the spaying at the time as were told get her done at 6 months before 1st heat.( like last dog)
Went on Wednesday for pre op. Newish vet said. She would wait till after her 1st heat 🤬.
I know different vets have different views on this. Same as injectings. L2 or L4 but surely the practice should have the same views.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was always of the understanding it was after the first heat.
Re the appointments, if the vets booked her in for the operation then they should also have booked her in for the follow-ups at the same time, ie a course of treatments.
I'd look at local recommendations and changing vets

62tucker

Site Supporter
That much difference of opinion on time. Google comes up with mostly before 1st heat.
And most of my life our vets said before 1st heat.
But is inflammation out there to after 1st heat. Especially for larger dogs to be sure fully grown.
But when do they have 1st heat or fully grown?
Mate had his lab booked in on a Monday at 9 months on vets advice. She came into heat on the Saturday and caused a lot of problems as has a 3 year old male lab as well. Not fair on either of them. The male was going crazy.
And female with special suit on with sanitary towel in.
It was a hassle for 3 weeks and time off work needed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I take it the male Lab is intact - what did your mate expect?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
They sure know how to charge. 2 calves here dehorned and one castration. Some pain relief , and a numbing injection. They come to me £95. No follow ups needed.

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Vets like Dentists and solicitors I've never known a poor one

Last edited:

tee.bee

Site Supporter
my first two German Shepherds were after first heat free of charge through the council dog warden.My current Shepherd was after fist season too

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Ours was after 1st season, I thought that was standard…

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Bob in my avatar was being treated by the vets for a "chest infecton". I must have spent about £400 on treatment for him & they couldn't find out what was wrong. They gave him steroids, antibiotics...the works.
I went to a different vets because I knew something wasn't right. They did a blood test & then a scan. Found a tumour at the base of his heart which was inoperable & I had to let him go & that cost me another £200 (wifey likes the ashes to come home in an urn).
Still heartbroken 6 years on.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Our little terrier in my avatar has just had treatment for an inflamed pancreas and a low bloods count. The treatment is still ongoing but, to date, has cost me £1600!

Rich123

Guys, I've had a run with our vets for years now. Our little Border Terrier is 12 now, has been in good health most of that time thankfully. But we have had our moments, as has our daughters. We just seem to pay up regardless. Daughter one, had her old spaniel on medication and visits for over a year. Eventually, the vets admitted there were much cheaper drugs available in chemist she could use? Our now little bitch Daisy, hurt her hip about 18 months ago, an operation was estimated at £6k to fix it. We put her on baby aspirin, and it got better, the odd flare up. Now she is having problems again, but we mange the pain with over the counter medication. The pain relief they use, and charge £30 for a tiny (one week) bottle, is available in chemist for £3.00. If you think about it, we all have problems as we get older, I have arthritis really bad, but no operation is available even if I had thousands to pay on it?

Its the second and third appointment change I begrudge, and the medication cost. You can buy the medication at on-line vets, at a fraction of the price, but your own vet will change for a prescription almost as much. It's a cartel that needs breaking up, almost immoral, in my opinion.