Vespe Slippery Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Has anyone seen the article in the Angling Times this week on these products.What do you think ? to be honest i think it just another gimmick to part us ordinary anglers from our hard earned cash.Even an pole angler of limited knowledge know the key to smooth elastic is to lubricated every time you get the top kits out of your bag.Another one for the tackle tarts or a genuine aid to help you land more fish ?

MALC

Must admit i saw the article and read it with interest.[:)]

First reaction was yes it's a gimmick just to get our money.[:(!][:(!]

But then after thinking hard about it i'm unsure.[:(]

My reason's being i dont use any lubrication now adays (other than venue water) as when i did use lubrication years ago i found that the lacky would weaken quicker and also the internal walls of the pole would get loads of bits of grit dragged into it and i suffered with sticking lacky.

It used to mean i was changing lacky every month and it would take ages to clean out the inside of the pole tips.[:(]

Since i stoped using lubricant i have not suffered with the above problems half as much.[:)]

But on very hot or cold days i'll still some times feel a very slight judder from the lacky as it rubs against the side wall when bending into a big fish.[:(]

So when and if one of my local shops get them in i may try them out although it looks like it may make things a bit harder when it comes to stringing up the lacky as there will be 4 small hole's inside the sections to try and pass the threader through.[:(]

As and when i can get a set i'll let you know what i think.

Only trouble is if they are any good it'll cost 8 x 12tops = 96 to do all my tops.[:(][:(][:(]

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
when i read it i thought the same its a gimmick

and the more i think about it its still a gimmick

it just plants the seed to make you think you've got a problem! when really there is'nt one,

as long as you've cut your tips back enough the elastic will work ok,
the only bit of elastic that wears is the bit near the stonfo & bush,
and they want you to fit 4 more of these bushes,

they will be dirt collectors, & also you'll get water trapped in the pole making it feel top heavy,

also by putting more things in the pole there's more that can go wrong.

as to lubricants do we need them, in my opinion yes! but beware,
iv'e been pole fishing over 20 years and have tried just about everything,
as Malc says some them can cause more problems than they cure,
e.g. the silicon based lubricants are sticky, they drag all the dust and dirt back into the pole,

Which are the silicon based ones, 90% of the ones that manufactures sell plus the ones from the car spares shop amour and stp etc. so if you're using any of these beware,

and like Malc a lot of anglers just use water, thats ok when the elastic is new but after a couple of sessions you get the jerks! as the smooth coating wears off the elastic,

whats the best, its the one that the manufactures would have us believe deteriorates elastic,
yep washing up liquid, but not neat 6 parts water to 1 part liquid,
why is it the best, if when you start a session you pull the bung out and squirt it down the pole not only will it lubricate the elastic it will clean the inside of the pole as well, and its cheep,

iv'e yet to see any damage to elastic done by washing up liquid, its just a rumour passed around by sponsored anglers and manufactures, so that we buy there product,

teepee.

jonesr

Tepee. I totally agree.As long as the bush is big enough you should have no trouble. I dilute even more than 6-1 probably nearer 10-1.
Ihave been spending a lot of my time on carp puddles (not by choice!)
I am moving in the New Year to get back to river fishing!
All my tops will have to be redone.
ron j.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have to agree with Teepee on this one.
Most of the "judder" problem is down to not fitting large enough bushes and not cutting the pole back far enough.
I know it goes against the grain,cutting more off your expensive pole than you have to,but if more people trimmed an extra six inches off their top kits and fitted larger bushes then a lot of their problems would dissapear.
Just a gimmick as far as i'm concerned.
Just imagine if you use Hydrolastic,it would cost 23 to elasticate each top kit [:0]

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hiya Peter, nice holiday?
that suns got to you,[8D] 23 and you still need ptfe, stonfo, & bung,

not much change out of 30 quid, x how many tops,

No chance!

teepee.

Oggy

I have used Armourall for donkey's years but this season I've been trying hair conditioner (diluted with water at 10:1 ish) after a recommendation from a friend and am just getting used to it

What I have noticed is that no matter what you use you will still get some dirt inside your sections and the simple remedy is that I flush them out regularly with a hosepipe.

As also stated, cut back your tips, use a bush that is a size bigger than the manufacturer recommends (for a 5's elastic use a bush for an 8's) and when suitable take out the tip section completely.

MALC

Well i've had a look at them in the shop today and now i've gone back to the idea that they are a GIMMICK.

Tried to thread a length of lacky through and it was awkward without being in a pole section.

Also taking in to account what TeePee has said regards them being a dirt collector.

With regards my mention of the occasional judder still happening and every body suggesting it's due to not enough tip being cut back.

Thats not the reason as all Power Tops are fitted with a Big Bush 2.4dia and max lacky used is 2.0dia down to 1.5dia.

Match Kits are fitted with a Bush of 1.5dia and the biggest dia lacky used in these is 1.3dia.

Personally i think my judder is due to me only using water as a lube (as mentioned before) which is why i replace my lacky about every 6 to 8 weeks if it needs it or not ( a confidence thing).

So Bulldog i've now gone back to the thought that they are a GIMMICK .

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Malc I to clap eyes on these over the weekend my conclusion,There is no way i'm putting them in my top kits just looking at them i can see to many flaws you have already highlighted one.So i'll keep my money and buy a few beers with it instead[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.