Very nice record Carp...

smiffy

Site Supporter
Well. The BRFC didn’t accept the previous record claim for a fish from that water because it was imported from Israel and had been fed in a stock pond before being stocked at a very big weight. Wether it was actually imported or not I don’t know as Arry has stated otherwise.
Don’t know where I stand on this. I can understand a certain amount of objection because the record has, almost, been manufactured. I don’t regard Carp as non native because they’ve been here as long as monks have been here but should an imported fish count? There are several French fish in various waters darn sarf, according to the Carp angling lad I work with.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There's a water 6 miles from my gaff with German and Italian stock... to be quite brutally honest... if a 30lber waddles its way over my net string, I ain't gonna be asking to see its passport... a lot of carp (in fact probably most) of the big carp in this country are now home grown... there are plenty of breeders and Sparsholt college is one of the biggest suppliers in the country... if you want to debate where the carp from abroad come from, then try and resurrect ECHO the English Carp Heritage Organisation... but in all honesty I think that boat has sailed...
And big carp nowadays are bred to pile on weight, with high metabolic rates and shortened lifespans... I'm not keen on the idea myself but the days of the long lived Galician and Leney strains of carp are limited to very few and exclusive waters these days

Sam Vimes

As far as I'm concerned, the BRFC ceased to be relevant a few years back. Once it started to apply entirely subjective rules to individual captures it all went to pot. Whilst I understand, and have sympathy with, the ethical objections to the source and/or unnatural rearing of certain fish, as far as I'm concerned, if it's the claimed species, caught on rod and line in the UK and at a substantiated weight, it's a UK record. The fact that so many people set such great store on records and their captors, there's "fame" to be had and money to be made, by all sorts of people involved, is where the problems arise.

JayD

As far as I'm concerned, the BRFC ceased to be relevant a few years back. Once it started to apply entirely subjective rules to individual captures it all went to pot. Whilst I understand, and have sympathy with, the ethical objections to the source and/or unnatural rearing of certain fish, as far as I'm concerned, if it's the claimed species, caught on rod and line in the UK and at a substantiated weight, it's a UK record. The fact that so many people set such great store on records and their captors, there's "fame" to be had and money to be made, by all sorts of people involved, is where the problems arise.

I'm in full agreement with you on that Sam.
I've long said that the record fish list has very little meaning other than to anglers. It's just a record of the biggest fish that have been caught during a specific period of time, using specific methods, and in specific locations. As to the fish that are stocked at, or near, record size, you've got an artificial record of an artificial sized fish, often from an artificially created fishery.

John

smiffy

Site Supporter
I guess,like Sam said, there’s money to be made. Thats surely what’s going on at this venue.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've often wondered if these massive fat ones actually put up a decent scrap or are they just a dead weight to reel in. Sometimes a three pounder can put up a better fight than an eight pounder if you know what I mean.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've often wondered if these massive fat ones actually put up a decent scrap or are they just a dead weight to reel in. Sometimes a three pounder can put up a better fight than an eight pounder if you know what I mean.

I've had upper 20's give me a really good scrap, and when in France, the 40's were nearly taking me water ski-ing. But do they slow down at 50+? I have no idea. It would be nice to find out though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you think about it the majority of the fish's weight will be muscle, and that weight in the water is balanced out by it's swimbladder, so effectively any muscle it puts into getting away will be converted into power. It might not thrash around like a 3-5lb'er but I bet it'll go like a steam train and most likely require the same stopping power

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Are the days of finding a wild, natural unfished lake long gone? The world is too small now😢. Poring over OS maps and visiting the little blue blobs were as much a part of fishing as the fishing itself.

rudd

Site Supporter
Are the days of finding a wild, natural unfished lake long gone? The world is too small now😢. Poring over OS maps and visiting the little blue blobs were as much a part of fishing as the fishing itself.
They have been fished, by Otters and the black plague!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
This argument started with Rainbow trout that were bred to a record breaking size then placed in a pond for someone to catch,it led to a call for a "cultivated" record and a "natural" record.
The same applies to Carp as the fish in question were bred in a pond then released into a fishery to be caught by some lucky angler but the fact they were grown on to a record size before being stocked disqualifies them from UK record status.
I had a pet minnow in a tank that would have broken the uk record and there were several bigger ones in the aquarium section of Liverpool museum all swimming around happily not being killed and dragged off to the BRCFC to claim a phoney record.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
This argument started with Rainbow trout that were bred to a record breaking size then placed in a pond for someone to catch,it led to a call for a "cultivated" record and a "natural" record.
The same applies to Carp as the fish in question were bred in a pond then released into a fishery to be caught by some lucky angler but the fact they were grown on to a record size before being stocked disqualifies them from UK record status.
I had a pet minnow in a tank that would have broken the uk record and there were several bigger ones in the aquarium section of Liverpool museum all swimming around happily not being killed and dragged off to the BRCFC to claim a phoney record.
Didn't Dick Walker catch a record trout many years ago that caused a bit of controversy?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Chris Yates 50lb+ Carp was also controversial at the time because it was spawnbound. I remember many couldn’t accept that. Ironic really as Tench record hunters deliberately target spawnbound fish🤷‍♂️