Very difficult to write

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
As most of you know Ken (dad) was re- admitted to hospital because the diabetic ulcer on his foot wasn't healing properly. Unfortunately gangrene had set in and three of his toes turned black. This is very difficult to write, the surgeon told us that normal procedure would be amputation. Unfortunately, his blood circulation isn't good enough to heal the surgery and taking into consideration his age and other problems it would be very, very risky to attempt the surgery even without the poor circulation. They had decided, therefore, not to operate and just send him home on palliative care.
He is now home, pain free and full of beans. The nurse has told him that his toes will drop off without him realising. He doesn't seem to realise how serious his condition is. We realise that he will go downhill very quickly if he gets an infection but we are not saying that to him and are just trying to keep him happy for the time he has left.

On a lighter note, on the day that he was being discharged a nurse told him that he had to be off the ward by 12:30, his reply...."why, will I lose my deposit if I'm not".

When he got home the first thing he did was put his alexa on and start singing. The next door neighbour shouted "Ken give us you're my best friend" Ken duly obliged and Hank Williams was soon blasting out. Then the whole close came into their back gardens and sang along with him, there wasn't a dry eye in the family. I have to close now as I am choking up thinking about it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wishing all the very best for your Dad Dave and thoughts are with you and all the family at such a trying time. ;)

BTMS

Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Dave. It shows how much he is loved by all his family, friends and neighbors. His sense of his humor is still sharp.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Wishing you all the best for your dad, you and all your family - stay strong and enjoy every minute together

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Ahh Dave can't imagine what you are going through mate. I would have liked to have met your dad, he sounds like someone you meet and come away feeling blessed for the company.

Not easy at this time I know, but try to focus on a life well lived and a man loved by family, friends & neighbours alike.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can only re-iterate what others have said - wish him all our bests and take care yourself Dave. If you need to talk or just have a blowout, we'll be here for you

david white

Site Supporter
Lost for the appropriate words Dave so I’ll just join all the others in wishing Ken, you and all those around the strength to keep pulling together
Live and enjoy each and every moment to the full
Guessing tomorrow ( Fathers Day ) is going to be a tad emotional
Stay strong

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As most of you know Ken (dad) was re- admitted to hospital because the diabetic ulcer on his foot wasn't healing properly. Unfortunately gangrene had set in and three of his toes turned black. This is very difficult to write, the surgeon told us that normal procedure would be amputation. Unfortunately, his blood circulation isn't good enough to heal the surgery and taking into consideration his age and other problems it would be very, very risky to attempt the surgery even without the poor circulation. They had decided, therefore, not to operate and just send him home on palliative care.
He is now home, pain free and full of beans. The nurse has told him that his toes will drop off without him realising. He doesn't seem to realise how serious his condition is. We realise that he will go downhill very quickly if he gets an infection but we are not saying that to him and are just trying to keep him happy for the time he has left.

On a lighter note, on the day that he was being discharged a nurse told him that he had to be off the ward by 12:30, his reply...."why, will I lose my deposit if I'm not".

When he got home the first thing he did was put his alexa on and start singing. The next door neighbour shouted "Ken give us you're my best friend" Ken duly obliged and Hank Williams was soon blasting out. Then the whole close came into their back gardens and sang along with him, there wasn't a dry eye in the family. I have to close now as I am choking up thinking about it.
All my love Ken ,your a very brave and humorous man , all my love to you Dave and family ❤❤❤❤❤ i will be praying for you all.