'Venue experts'

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
I think Zerkalo is talking about the people who think they are venue experts. Most annoying to those of us that are.

Fishing Castle Ashby's Brickyard pond one day in a club match when a clubmate told me I was doing it all wrong (Banjo feeder/corn on the hook). Ten minutes later I was landing a 13lb carp.

As you know, I do everything wrong. You even told me the dacrons I was using (made by a fellow MDr) were too long. I still catch fish with them. Oh, and you said I don't have enough line from my rod tip when casting a feeder. Tip still goes round.
Line from tip to feeder line length helps when casting ?
Short line from tip to feeder you are casting more off the tip than the rod .
Best bite I've had this week NON and it's only Monday 😂😂😂

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have a venue I fish a lot, out of every 10 trips fishing, 7 of them will be on that venue

I know it well, but would not presume to tell anyone how to fish it or what stretches, pegs, baits or methods work best

that is something that has taken me years to find out,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for all replies. I've just been at work and got home to read them, good banter! :) What sparked the thread was a chap I've seen walking the bank all 4 times I've been to this lake, he's always 'fish spotting'. He's a good lad though and knows the water well so it's more than welcome. But, I don't do it myself as some people just want to fish their way!

Total

Site Supporter
I dont mind someone stopping for a chat for a few minutes but I draw the line at those that seem to want to adopt you.
I was adopted by an 85 year old angler only last week at my club water!:giggle:.......He even called me 'son' at one point!......'Son' of a what, I can't say on here given forum rules!:love::ROFLMAO:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m more than happy to chat with anyone tbh. You can usually tell a useful tip from a rubbish one. Some of the older guys I meet on my waters are just lonely and fish for the company as much as the fish. Having said that quite a few of them fish the venue seven days a week and generally know a few things.

I’m sure random people talking to me if I was fishing a match would really bug me though, but as the only matches I fish are MD affairs it’s not relevant.

There is one place in Glossop which attracts quite a few newcomers and I generally leave them to it unless they either ask for help or if I feel that fish welfare is at stake, then I just try to help without being condescending. I’ve donated a couple of disgorgers on there and showed people how to use them. Something we all take for granted but we all needed someone to explain a couple things when we started.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I think the difference is obvious- proper venue experts don't wander around the place offering their expertise to anyone who will listen (or those who won't) when they could be fishing; they're too busy being an expert.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I think the difference is obvious- proper venue experts don't wander around the place offering their expertise to anyone who will listen (or those who won't) when they could be fishing; they're too busy being an expert.
I bailiff for a club. I frequently wander our river stretches without actually fishing. I also fish my favourite stretch more regularly than anyone I know of. However, there is one old guy that regularly walks the stretch. He's probably the only man alive that will undoubtedly know the water better than I do. Sadly, actually fishing it is getting a bit beyond him. I suspect that a lot of those that encounter him will dismiss him as an old crank. If they were bright enough to actually listen to him, they might actually do a lot better than they generally do.

DaveGas

Once fished at Pine Lakes on the big lake, I had brilliant day winning the match with 93lb of Ide, week after we are on the small lake I noticed while having a walk around before the start of my match that a chap was on a match sat on the peg I won off the week before, I approached him as he was plumbing up at 11m plus, I tried to explain that I had won the match the week before fishing 2+2, he more or less growled at me then ignored me so I moved on, he persevered all the match catching next to nothing and I was only trying to be nice :)

davylad

Site Supporter
I too learnt a very valuable lesson about life a few years ago. I was fishing the Trent in a club match at East Stoke, and was having one of those special days you get every now and again, with a nice roach almost every chuck. The bloke in the next peg downstream of me, hardly had a fish, so I decided to go try and help him out. BIG MISTAKE! He told me in no uncertain terms to chuff off and mind my own business. Lesson learnt, although I meant well, what right did I have interfering with his day? I've never forgot that, so if I think I can help someone to make their day better, I always ask them if they mind first.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This chap who speaks to me is spot on, he's been there every time I've fished the venue! Just walking round. :)

chris1967

Site Supporter
Are there any venue experts on here for Sherwood forest fishery ,on the open tomorrow could really do with being put right :unsure: :ROFLMAO: