Veganism

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I listened to an interview on the radio yesterday where a lady was expounding the virtues of a vegan diet. The interviewer asked "if there was a 'red button' that would instantly stop all production of meat products, would you press it"?

"Instantly" was the answer.

Surely this would lead to the extinction of cows, pigs, chickens etc as I cannot see anyone keeping these animals as pets.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
My arguments exactly Dave, although cows would survive in India as they considered sacred. Anywhere else there may be people that keep small numbers, but the diminishing gene pool, would surely risk, their survival.

If the recent Channel 4 program Apocalypse Cow is accurate, there maybe no choice, but for all of us to go Vegan, as the food/land ratio wouldn't support the rearing of livestock, now that is a gloomy thought, ah well it's steak for tea tonight. :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
At least when we do the trade deals with the US we'll be able to import their Beef :D

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Personally, I think they've got it all backwards. Cows, sheep, chickens etc. all eat a vegetarian/vegan diet (grass, corn etc.) right?...so, isn't meat just the end product of that diet?
Besides, if we're all meant to be vegans/vegetarians, then why are animals made of meat?
I need more coffee. :coffee::coffee:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yeah!! On that same line we don't put crude oil in our cars, we need to have a process that refines it first,

Cow eats Grass and Silage, Cow grows body mass, we eat meat

Same principle, the Cow processes raw grass and silage and turns it into edible meat

Arch

Site Supporter
Off topic slightly, but how does a Cow turn grass into the fat we get in milk ??

I drink lots of milk, I'd struggle without cows. Don't fancy any of the alternatives.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Its the rabid vegans that get on my thungas... I could probably cope with vegetarianism, but not veganism... some of their ideas as are frankly barking... not keeping pets as that is animal exploitation... not using any animal by products at all, such as eggs milk or cheese...even if an animal dies of natural causes.... they really are fruit loops...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What about the milions of worker Bees that die each year pollenating Avacado plants in Californian farms in order to grow and produce the almond nuts that go into many vegan foods?

Bred to work, then worked to death :eek:

Arry

Site Supporter
Oh that'll all stop ..?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Who was that nugget on the other day saying he won’t get on a bus in case it kills a fly on windscreen. ??‍♂️

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I listened to the same broadcast and she spouted some figures if they reached 350000 vegans for the month, they would save the same amount of carbon as 140 000 flights.
like to see the maths and the data set for that.
I don’t have a problem if you want to be vegetarian the ok just don’t try and convert me.
And for animals that are totally vegetarian have you seen the size of some of them an African Elephant weighs 5 tonnes

Reuben

Site Supporter
On the back of this it wouldn’t surprise me if the anti angling brigade don’t kick off again. Exploiting the poor fishes & all that rubbish...

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Without us anglers, most of the poor fishes would be under car parks and housing estates.

Arry

Site Supporter
Rivers would be regularly polluted, bird life around waters would die out, millions of aquatic insects and wetland life would be extinct, vermin would be rife... but thats okay cos thos precious vegans care about the animals.... kin brainless bunch of twonks.... now.... lets get the bacon on for a sarnie