Veg or weeds?

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I was having a basement clear-out and came across some packets of seeds from the BBC's Grow Your Own Vegetables project.
The packets said 'sow before 2014'.
Being a born and bred TAYG, I could not just throw these seeds away, so (excuse the pun) I scattered them in the front garden, in no specific order or placing.
The front garden had previously been dug over and raked.
The idea was to let things grow until I could see what they were, dandelions or carrots etc.
The problem now is I don't know what's what. :cry:
I can recognise dandelions but I have no idea what a young beetroot looks like.
I am pretty sure photo no.3 is carrots.
Photos 1 and 2 look vegi'ish but surrounded by dandelions.

IMGP0006.JPG IMGP0007.JPG IMGP0008.JPG

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The dandelion, at one time was cultivated as a foodstuff, for some reason it became downgraded and regarded as a weed,

every bit of the plant is edible

and on top of that, its a pretty flower to look at, rather like a field of gold when they are present in numbers, like a mini crysanthenum

Flathead

Site Supporter
In my opinion:

First photo is some sort of Brassica ie cabbage/cauli/ kale etc.....or even turnip or swede....time will tell.

Third photo look like carrots.

Second photo could be leaf beet or maybe some type of spinach. Some forms of lettuce look similar

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
First one looks like sprout plants, second one spinach/lettuce with what appears to be a lupin plant at bottom. third one carrots and a beetroot with red stem.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Also, about the same time, I had some supermarket potatoes that started sprouting, so I stuck two of them in the front garden just to see if they would grow. I don't know if there will be any potato crop but they seem to be growing well.
Arfur is guarding the front garden, he's called Arfur because he's half a Dalek. :) :waving:

IMGP0009.JPG

Sorry....forgot to add the photo.

Last edited:

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
To 160642fishing,
The contents and instructions on the packets were quite legible and easy to follow, but as mentioned above:-
"I scattered them in the front garden, in no specific order or placing. "
Thanks for reading and Good Luck at the Lane this season. ( Fellow Blade)

rudd

Site Supporter
No weed growing there - wrong shaped leaves.

jason39

The thing i know about potatoes is as soon as they grow you mound the soil up and keep doing it because the potatoes grow from the stem. so if you just planted and didnt mound the soil. no potatoes.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
To 160642fishing,
The contents and instructions on the packets were quite legible and easy to follow, but as mentioned above:-
"I scattered them in the front garden, in no specific order or placing. "
Thanks for reading and Good Luck at the Lane this season. ( Fellow Blade)
Sorry mate,as for the good luck I think we're going to need it,every 'pundit' has us down for relegation,as do the bookies,I would to see us survive,obviously,if only to prove wrong all these people who are supposed to know everything about football.