VANILLA BOYS

genesis

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Now this made me read it twice in the office this morning. According to Trevor Phillips there are not enough black people in the top executive jobs of the FTSE 100. This figure has changed as companies drop out of the 100 and also by the retirement of some top black people. I think he is trying to make something out of nothing. As a businessman I would have no problem employing a black, Indian or Chinese person if they were right for the job and could make me money. Then again I would not employ one just because it ticks a box on the company portfolio. I would assume, maybe wrongly that the reason the FTSE 100 does not have any top black executives at the moment is that they were not right for the position they applied for. I also object to his description of the top white bosses as "vanilla boys" and his description of the "snowy peaks" of UK Businesses which I read as an attack on white people. This is another article which if reversed to such as "chocolate boys" would have the lefties and PC brigade in uproar.

Last edited:

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
Yep, but you have to have "positive discrimination" nowadays as it allows "quotas" to be set that show there is inclusivity in the world, instead of getting somewhere by ability!

genesis

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Yep, but you have to have "positive discrimination" nowadays as it allows "quotas" to be set that show there is inclusivity in the world, instead of getting somewhere by ability!
Wherever I have got I like to think it is because of my natural ability, charm and good looks and not because I tick a box or clear a quota. That wouldn't look good on anybody's CV.

commieboy257

Account Locked
always thought Trevor Phillips spoke a lot of sense after leaving the race relations board but this is a new low for him, he's almost as bad as Lenny "I'm black so you owe me something" Henry.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
Wherever I have got I like to think it is because of my natural ability, charm and good looks and not because I tick a box or clear a quota. That wouldn't look good on anybody's CV.
I agree totally, when I'm employed (as a team leader in my last role) it's in a technical field, so i don't care about you're race, religion, sexuality, whether you like Marmite, whether Brown Sauce or Red, Vegan or whatever - it was ALWAYS do you have the technical skills I need to fill the role and are you a good fit for the role (Team, Location, Work Ethic, Focus etc).

As I feel it should be!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I wont work for a lets say Certain persons, not that i dont like em i dont trust em to pay me and know a few have lost out even when been taken to the small courts. They do em sens no favours.

commieboy257

Account Locked
chap I knew was like that, devout Christian. set himself up as a financial advisor and as soon as he heard a certain accent he declined - said things were never as they seem and invariably dodgy

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When I had my electrical contracting company a letter dropped through my door from some governing body or other asking if I employed any Asians ? It said that if I didn’t reply to the letter I could be charged £200. So, I wrote on the questionnaire and sent it back .... “ No I don’t because when I have advertised for either an electrician or an apprentice I have never had any people from the Asian community apply for the position. “. A couple of weeks later I got yet another letter from this governing body asking .... When you place an advertisement for a role in your company do you make it clear that all ethnic minorities are invited to apply ? I wrote back .... I do not imply that any race is or isn’t invited to apply as in my opinion this would be a racist remark. The wrote back .... Would it be possible for one of our representatives to visit your place of work and discuss future employment ? To which I simply wrote in large letters NO. Never heard anything from them after that. And this is what we pay our taxes for is it ? 🙄

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wont work for a lets say Certain persons, not that i dont like em i dont trust em to pay me and know a few have lost out even when been taken to the small courts. They do em sens no favours.
Would never work for them mate as once the job is done they then think they can barter with you. No, not for me.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Would never work for them mate as once the job is done they then think they can barter with you. No, not for me.
Same here, started a big housing scheme for them (wealthy family) onsite working away having signed standard contract. They came onsite asked for a huge discount on price, when I refused they terminated the contract. I claimed for breech of contract and loss of earnings, finished up in court.
I won my case, they still refused to pay, sent in the bailiffs. They then said they would pay but not the bailiff and court costs, told them it’s not up for discussion. Got all money owed to me, after that never worked for that section of the community ever again.

grey

Site Supporter
I thought vanilla pods were black?!

I think the act of singling anyone out by their colour to prove or disprove the act racism is distasteful.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Heres a thing you tell me if i was being off hand with the Builder ? The Builder gave my number to a Certain person and said i would do his job, i went worked out a quote and rang the Builder with it, he said no give it to him, i said Ok can you guarantee my money, he said NO. I didnt do the job and he sulked saying he wouldnt pass my name on again.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Same here, started a big housing scheme for them (wealthy family) onsite working away having signed standard contract. They came onsite asked for a huge discount on price, when I refused they terminated the contract. I claimed for breech of contract and loss of earnings, finished up in court.
I won my case, they still refused to pay, sent in the bailiffs. They then said they would pay but not the bailiff and court costs, told them it’s not up for discussion. Got all money owed to me, after that never worked for that section of the community ever again.
I’ve heard a lot of similar things so, over the years I’ve always gave them a wide birth. Glad you got what you deserved mate although you shouldn’t have had to go through all that. 😡

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I dislike any form of insult dressed up in phrases that are meant to look innocuous but we know are meant to be derogatory. If you cannot say what you mean in plain language then you probably should not be saying it.

I do though understand the tenor of the argument. Whether we can admit to ourselves or not there is discrimination. It does seem somewhat suspicious if there are no or very few BAME people on the boards of FTSE companies. We have now had two "people of colour" elected to the White House, the board of a top company should therefore be attainable. It cannot be through lack of suitable candidates, that would seem to be an impossible position to defend.

It has taken women many decades to break through the glass ceiling and for some that is still a barrier. Racism exists as does sexism still to some degree. I don't believe in artificial quotas but evidence shows that it can be difficult for equally qualified BAME candidates to even get considered. Since the introduction of the Rooney Rule in American Football many more BAME coaches have been appointed. All that rule says is that you must at least consider someone from outside the white talent pool for a role. No quotas, just give someone a fair crack of the whip.

And a final acknowledgement, racism, sexism etc. can work in many directions. I was at one time the only male on a management team. Did I suffer sexism, yes from a very male hating boss.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Heres a thing you tell me if i was being off hand with the Builder ? The Builder gave my number to a Certain person and said i would do his job, i went worked out a quote and rang the Builder with it, he said no give it to him, i said Ok can you guarantee my money, he said NO. I didnt do the job and he sulked saying he wouldnt pass my name on again.
My grandad used to say to me Wise Owl ..... “ you can always be a busy fool “ meaning if you are willing to work for certain people or not value what you do then more fool you. What he said has stuck with me for nearly 40 years.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I went to price a Job For a Coloured fella a few year back, on quoting his first words were i'll pay ya up front. I felt bad he had to say that but he got the feeling the others who had let him down had done so due to colour.

Tantric Socks

Site Supporter
There’s good and bad in all. I’m sure some of you have had difficulties in being paid by white people, if you say you haven’t you’re a liar!
I’ve done loads of lay and grid ceilings in corner shops around the midlands, mostly for people in the same group of family and friends, in on a Sunday morning and out by lunchtime. There was always a carrier bag of cash waiting, never a penny short.
In contrast I was taken for 5k on an apartment block from a white bloke for metal furring ceilings.
A thief is a thief, no matter their colour.

genesis

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Agree with the posts but you are all referring to working for them on various jobs and contracts. The actual thread and the news comment is about black people been employed to work for someone else. They are getting payed instead of paying. I was just trying to point out that the article and names used was technically racist towards whites.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I read that this morning and thought it was a little bit derogatory. If I was to turn the phrase 'Vanilla boys club' around and say 'Chocolate boys club' to describe a group of black men, I have no doubts I would get taken to task for using those terms.....