Van or car

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is a bit of a squeeze to get my gear in my little corsa when everything’s in its place (just doable) but with the seats down and the parcel shelf is out I can get my roll up boat in there let alone my fishing tackle!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The size of some seatboxes now I can only just fit my Matchbox in the back of my Megane, have thought about a small van as next car as I don't really need it for family business.

alsur

Site Supporter
Is a bit of a squeeze to get my gear in my little corsa when everything’s in its place (just doable) but with the seats down and the parcel shelf is out I can get my roll up boat in there let alone my fishing tackle!
Can tell you don't got match fishing, if I go down river with stick rod and bag goes in car without dropping any seats when I go match fishing it's drop all seats and if I couldn't drop front passenger seat it wouldn't fit.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can tell you don't got match fishing, if I go down river with stick rod and bag goes in car without dropping any seats when I go match fishing it's drop all seats and if I couldn't drop front passenger seat it wouldn't fit.

Yeah as soon as I have to take any sort of hold-all or quiver the seats have to drop although not the passenger seat just about fits without doing that. I don’t normally bother with a hold-all/quiver though so chair, ruckbag and net back go in the boot then the rods, net handle, bank sticks on the back seats. Not pretty but fits!

My dads just bought a van though so may commandeer that on occasions!

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’ve always had a van. No need for seats, etc, to accommodate family, kids, dogs or whatever as they’ve all grown up and bu99ered off! EID has her own car so it’s just me and my fishing mate. I’ve got my scooter thingy in the back so I can actually get to the water and plenty of room for all the gear that two blokes will ever need. It’s a VW T4, 2.5 tdi, does stupid mpg (35+) 20 years old and never a moments trouble, wouldn’t be without it!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I can fit
  • large platform barrow
  • rod holdall with 9+ tubes
  • carryall
  • seat box (AS1)
  • waders, walking boots & waterproofs
  • sensas large bucket
In a 3 door MINI with back seats down and passenger seat right forward.
it helps that the seat box is small footprint (compared to modern oil rigs) - but I have a couple of match fishing colleagues who use a fiesta and a mazda 2 respectively.

I had an Octavia hatchback before and that was massive. The rod holdall went in straight rather than at an angle across.

If you do get a car - then get a boot liner. I have a Rhino and it's brilliant.

TimFB

Had a VW T5 ... very reliable and economical. Removable rear seats if needed. Once got 4 anglers, all their kit, a Weber bbq and bait n groceries for a week in France in it. One angler had cram himself in the single rear seat and three of us were in the front...but hey we got there!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I had a Vauxhall Zafira - the back seats folded and the back rest slid forward and it was big enough to get a trolley and tackle in the back.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve done the estate car bit, can never keep them clean or dry. Had a van for a few years now, best bit about it is loaded shuttle out of garage into van, out of van to peg, no loading and unloading. Same in reverse for the journey home. I’d really struggle to go back to a car. I have a Transit Connect and VW T5, both nice drives.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Went from my transit connect to skoda superb estate.
I can load quicker in estate.due to 2 rear doors.
But my van only had rear doors.
Was safer though with van reversed hard up against house.
Much prefer estate the superb as massive load area.love it been looking at a nearly new one.

markymark123

Site Supporter
Some of the smaller vans have rear seats that fold away into the floor so you don't lose any rear loading space. I know some of the Vauxhall Combo vans do and some other makes I've seen but can't remember which models now, might be worth a look.

turnpike

The recent Ford Transit Custom really drives like a car. I've had a Transporter too. Wanted to like it more but it still felt like a van. If you can do without the fold down 2nd row you get with the VW Kombi, the bulkhead in the custom makes it sound and feel more car like too. Also easier to heat. Still enough room in the back to store rods etc diagonally. VW are better to deal with but the Custom is way more fun to drive for me.

As I camp, bike and fish I'd struggle to go back to car. Cost is an issue ofcourse. Low roof short wheel base doesn't take up more room than an estate really and you get the higher ride height.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fancied the Transit Custom but do like my Toyota Hilux

The only thing I find with the Hilux is if you use it as a pickup and don't have a canopy on the back to turn it into a pickup estate ;) you can struggle to get tackle in there without leaving it exposed. I use a folding cover over the tub.

1.9m rod/pole holdalls will fit diagonally. Some seatboxes are higher than the depth of the tub, so always worthwhile checking.

commieboy257

I've got an old Zafira which handles plenty of tackle with the seats slid forward. If you get a newer one (mine's a 57 plate) the seats fold flat in the rear rather than just sliding forward or so I believe.