Van or car

Learner21

Been a bit of a chew on getting my gear in and out of the car mainly down to size, at the moment got a 4 door vauxhall astra and find im having to drop the back seats to get my holdall in then have to manoeuvre my seat box into position to enable carryall net bags etc to fit in, was thinking about getting a small low van or another car with a bit more space, dont want anything to big as i only fish maybe once a week, what are people using thats suited. Thanks

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only problem with a van is unless you have another car to use for 'family stuff' then the van becomes your main mode of transport.
Not ideal really if only using it for fishing one day of the week and for the other six days...?

Added on to that the insurances for vans is different to that of cars, not only in costs but limitations, so something to bear in mind; most insurances companies see vans as work vehicles and charge accordingly.

alsur

Site Supporter
I've got a ford bmax ideal for one person as front passenger fold flat can easily get my full match kit in it, unfortunately they don't make it anymore.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Ive got a VW T4 1.9td, drives like a car, parks in the same space as a car, fitted with a rear RnR bed seat which holds an additional 3 people with seatbelts, can get untold in the back, deisel usage is good at around 35 to the gallon,

Insurance is negligible, around £300 a year fully comp with breakdown, windscreen and audio included

servicing is simple, no stupid electric brain or owt

high driving platform, you can see for miles in front and over hedges

good ground clearance too for those slightly off road forays

mbuna_matt

I like Vauxhall too - and have the Insignia estate, I can get my gear in fairly easily - and 2 sets of (OTT) match gear if the lad and I fish the same match.

With split seats you do still need to drop a seat for a rod bag. Another plus for the tourer is its an all wheel drive so the odd cart track isn't so scary!

Matt

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve always had a van for my fishing. But, if I had to have only one vehicle for both I’d consider an estate car. We do have a Pug estate now but, I quite fancy one of those 300+ bhp Golf estates. Now that would get me down the Trent on time and a few speeding tickets no doubt. 😂😂

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I’ve always had a van for my fishing. But, if I had to have only one vehicle for both I’d consider an estate car. We do have a Pug estate now but, I quite fancy one of those 300+ bhp Golf estates. Now that would get me down the Trent on time and a few speeding tickets no doubt. 😂😂

Im looking at the New Ford Ranger Raptor :love: :love:
1601029485413.png

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Have they changed the front on Tranny vans Dave ? I’ve seen two now that have FORD in big letters on the front rather than the oval ford badge in blue. Both vans were 69 plate and looked really nice. 👍

Think its a Added extra mate.

BlueKoi

I have a similar size car to you and the best thing I've ever done is buy a roof box for it. It cost me £30 off the FB market place and I already had the thule roof rack that I purchased for my bikes. Now the rods and the keepnets can go on the roof and the other stuff fits into the car easily.

Before this I didn't need the roof box because I had an insignia estate and could lump everything in there. I thought I would struggle with the smaller car after the Insignia but the roof box is the perfect solution.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've always had estate cars, mainly because I've always had a big wolf & having the grandkids, we were always camping, boating & having days out. Got a mondeo estate now & previously had a Volvo V70. Tons of space in the back & means you've still got a family car for non-fishing days.

rudd

Site Supporter
Been a bit of a chew on getting my gear in and out of the car mainly down to size, at the moment got a 4 door vauxhall astra and find im having to drop the back seats to get my holdall in then have to manoeuvre my seat box into position to enable carryall net bags etc to fit in, was thinking about getting a small low van or another car with a bit more space, dont want anything to big as i only fish maybe once a week, what are people using thats suited. Thanks
Less kit most of the time but can get full match or carp set ups in my qashqai with some jiggling about.