Van Insurance

manny maggot

Hi Guys I intend on swopping my car for a van probably a VW Caddy maxi. I will park it on my drive at night and park it at my Caravan over the weekend. I will be leaving my tackle in the van. Has anyone got any recommendations for Insurance for cover for private use and £6k tackle. Also will I be able to move my no claims from the car to the van?.

Cheers

Suilven

I never had any issues insuring a van for private use, or transferring the car NCB. If a company becomes awkward, shop around. I found Aviva pretty good for price, that was 2 years ago before I converted it to a motorhome and had to change.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Insuring the van for private use is no problem at all. My Transit is insured for just that as I don't use it for business. However, I think you will have trouble insuring the tackle, especially if you intend to leave it in the van unattended overnight, or at all for that matter. I would have thought the chances of getting it stolen in that situation to be far to high a risk... I would be interested to know if anyone would take on such a risk, and if so at what premium.

Ralph.

Suilven

Forgot to say one thing to bear in mind is that vans, including the caddy despite being car sized, is classed as PLG so lower speed limits apply. It's not common knowledge but the average speed vultures can look up the vehicle class and send you a ticket. A lot of van drivers have been done doing 60 in a national speed limit or 70 on a dual carriageway. Archaic rules but worth bearing in mind.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Speed limits for vans are the same as cars on motorways, i.e. 70mph. However on arterial roads the maximum speed limit is reduced by 10 mph (60mph on dual and 50mph on single carriageways). Car-derived vans under a specified weight are classed as cars and are not subject to the restriction.

As to what vehicles are officially classed as car-derived is a grey area and you will need to clarify that. It is not straightforward - like everything else with our traffic laws. This does explain the restrictions... happy reading!

Ralph.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
a tradesman has great difficulty in insuring his tools left in a van, even with alarms and deadlocks fitted

so leaving your tackle in one overnight has very little chance of being covered either

at this moment in time, van theft is rife, the thieves have become adept at peeling the side doors down and lifting the contents and dissapearing into the night without anyone seeing or hearing

they also have a program that can be used by a mobile phone that will read the signal from your key fob and unlock the van

and to top that all, you can buy a key on ebay of all places that will mimic the key for most vans

take your tools or tackle in overnight, 10 mins of unloading saves a sea of heartbreak

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
a tradesman has great difficulty in insuring his tools left in a van, even with alarms and deadlocks fitted

so leaving your tackle in one overnight has very little chance of being covered either

at this moment in time, van theft is rife, the thieves have become adept at peeling the side doors down and lifting the contents and dissapearing into the night without anyone seeing or hearing

they also have a program that can be used by a mobile phone that will read the signal from your key fob and unlock the van

and to top that all, you can buy a key on ebay of all places that will mimic the key for most vans

take your tools or tackle in overnight, 10 mins of unloading saves a sea of heartbreak

Very true. I’ve just had my tools stolen with the key trick.
I thought I was covered as I was told as long as they’re in a locked vehicle or property then they’re insured...........however on page 15 of the small print it apparently says not covered between 9pm and 6am ???

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had both my vans (Transit Connect and a VW Transporter) insured with Aviva, but this year they stuck the price up by £100 (no incidents or claims) so had a look round and got both insured for under £400 with LV., that’s for social,domestic, pleasure, commuting and business.
My tackle is insured on the house insurance, but you’ll probably need a premium or high worth policy and specify expensive items.

Mr Barry S

I have a 15 plate Combo, private use mainly, fishing, archery etc.. Liverpool Victoria insure it, Highway insurance I think its called, for vans. It is expensive, thanks to toerags that regularly break into and steal from vans. Its the damage they do getting in, for kick off

Suilven

I had both my vans (Transit Connect and a VW Transporter) insured with Aviva, but this year they stuck the price up by £100 (no incidents or claims) so had a look round and got both insured for under £400 with LV., that’s for social,domestic, pleasure, commuting and business.
My tackle is insured on the house insurance, but you’ll probably need a premium or high worth policy and specify expensive items.

The trick with Aviva is to get a website quote from them before your renewal notice comes through. They always bump up on renewal and after you have the renewal notice the website will not give you it cheaper than that.

Before that time you can happily get "normal" quotes from their website which are then valid for 60 days. I pulled them up on it as it is unfair but it is a game they all play.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The trick with Aviva is to get a website quote from them before your renewal notice comes through. They always bump up on renewal and after you have the renewal notice the website will not give you it cheaper than that.

Before that time you can happily get "normal" quotes from their website which are then valid for 60 days. I pulled them up on it as it is unfair but it is a game they all play.

Not playing their games, LV were cheaper, LV got the business - like for like cover.