Vaccine

bryanh

Site Supporter
If you're getting your jab at your GP surgery it will most likely be the Oxford Astra Zenneca vaccine as a this is stored at normal 'domestic' refrigeration temperatures,unlike the Pfizer vaccine which requires storage at minus 70 degrees and must be used quickly after the temperature is normalised. It also takes much longer to administer as the patient has to sit for 15 minutes after the jab (due to possible side effects)

What makes me feel a little uneasy however is that both manufacturers have stated quite clearly that maximum protection requires the second dose to be given within three weeks of the first one and not surprisingly they are remaining very quiet about the governments' decision to delay the second dose for up to 12 weeks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most other vaccines offer around 70% protection, the cv vaccines off something in the region of 85-90% protection in the first dose, the balance coming from a top-up , ie the second jab.

Hancock came up with a good explanation last week when he said if you had two doses of the vaccine and two grandparents do you give both to one and leave one unprotected or do you give one to each knowing that they've then both been given a high percentage of protection.
That's the basis of the vaccination program at the moment, in order to vaccinate as many as possible in the shortest period of time with the doses they have available

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ir's inevitable that when rolling out a vaccination program as large as this that there will be local variations. It's not surprising that London has the lower uptake - less elderly people, more people in groups who aren't so keen on the vaccine and more difficult travel logistics.

However, as a country we just need to crack on where we can. As long as we are not under-resourcing London then we shouldn't disrupt the bits that are working in order to put a disproportionate effort elsewhere. As usual Khan is taking every opportunity to turn this into a political matter rather than focussing on the welfare of his electorate.

The latest analysis from Israel shows the impact of the vaccine on the over 60s. Look at the difference in case numbers in the vaccine group vs the non-vaccine group. It looks like it take a little time to kick in (we know it take a while to boost immunity) but the results are dramatic. If you needed 'real world evidence' of the impact of the vaccine then this is it.

1611478345643.png
Interesting, where did you find this, just wondering on the context of the figures, 0.5 etc.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Ir's inevitable that when rolling out a vaccination program as large as this that there will be local variations. It's not surprising that London has the lower uptake - less elderly people, more people in groups who aren't so keen on the vaccine and more difficult travel logistics.

However, as a country we just need to crack on where we can. As long as we are not under-resourcing London then we shouldn't disrupt the bits that are working in order to put a disproportionate effort elsewhere. As usual Khan is taking every opportunity to turn this into a political matter rather than focussing on the welfare of his electorate.

The latest analysis from Israel shows the impact of the vaccine on the over 60s. Look at the difference in case numbers in the vaccine group vs the non-vaccine group. It looks like it take a little time to kick in (we know it take a while to boost immunity) but the results are dramatic. If you needed 'real world evidence' of the impact of the vaccine then this is it.

1611478345643.png
There’s no excuse for not showing up. You get to pick your appointment. Wife and daughter both got emails with time slots between thurs and saturday. They picked times to suit themselves. If it’s the same for London, I’d kick them no shows off the nhs better still the island.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well I'm off for my CV jab this afternoon - 14:50 🤪

You'll be able to track my journey home using the following link ..... ;)

commieboy257

Account Locked
I'm in the 'extremely clinically vulnerable' group

T's been fine.
yeah I guess the old ticker is going to bump you up the list. don't know where I sit being long covid, probably somewhere after the dog if it's anything like the house pecking order.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's not the ticker in this instance, I've also got a condition known as chronic lymphocytic leukaemia which was picked up on when I had a multitude of tests trying to work out what was wrong with me after the covid. With it your body struggles to make it's own antibodies to infection, hence possibly the reason why cv went through me the way it did attacking my organs before my body could react as it should have done.
The heart issue is a result of that.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Too true, don't book any long cruises lol

stikflote

Site Supporter
A mate of mine had a call from his Doctor saying you can have your jab Sunday at 17 40+Mate goes up to Doctors+but they are shut

he comes back home and rings Doctor on monday told them he went up sunday ,receptionist then realized they had not told John
were to go for jab ,so gave another appointment on other side of town, he went to same place as i did
but he had the pfizer one i had the Oxford one ,seem to be luck of the draw which one you get

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It's not the ticker in this instance, I've also got a condition known as chronic lymphocytic leukaemia which was picked up on when I had a multitude of tests trying to work out what was wrong with me after the covid. With it your body struggles to make it's own antibodies to infection, hence possibly the reason why cv went through me the way it did attacking my organs before my body could react as it should have done.
The heart issue is a result of that.
I hope they get you sorted with everything ,